Defining Storage Virtualization
• Efficient utilization of storage resources:
– Add storage to the pool with no loss of availability
– Reallocate storage when and where it is needed
– Avoid wasted capacity
• Simplifies management by presenting a logical
view of physical storage resources
• Enables flexible backup & remote copying
• Provides platform for enterprise-wide
Virtualization is a key SAN application:
It reduces management costs and reduces the amount of unused
capacity on the SAN.
Virtualization generally offers very good ROI.
Storage virtualization automates basic storage management tasks,
allows clearer focus on meeting business needs, and helps to reduce
the pressures caused by the sheer volumes of storage needing to be
administered per person.
The most important benefit in the long term is only slowly being realized as the
⎯ allowing users and applications transparent shared access to data
across the enterprise.