iSCSI Protocol Architecture
Possible Limitations of iSCSI
• Limitations of iSCSI ?
– Encapsulates SCSI protocol in IP packets (added frame
– SCSI-to-IP mapping must be implemented in hardware for
• Can use TCP Offload Engines – TOE’s
– Be aware that IP often has external connections - security
– WAN bandwidth and cost
• Added frame overhead
We will be doing lot more so if we are CPU bound this could become an
• Because it’s over IP there is a security issue (that’s why we use firewalls
and intrusion detection systems and VPNs) So if we put our storage on
IP we have to accept that there is a security exposure.