Fibre Channel HBA Multipathing
• Multipathing drivers provide three basic features:
• Detection of link failure
• Automatic rerouting to alternate path
• Varying levels of transparency
• Path selection—per-LUN
• Dynamic traffic leveling
• Intelligent path selection
• Dynamic configuration
• Centralized configuration
Multipathing drivers provide three basic features:
This includes detection of link failure and automatic rerouting to
alternate path. Different HBA drivers provide different levels of
transparency to the OS and application.
Some multipathing drivers allow you to manually determine which
LUNs are accessed over which HBA ports, while others provide
automatic path selection capability. This is basic load-levelling.
More advanced multipathing software provides actual load-
balancing—dynamic levelling of traffic flows on a per-flow or per-
Multipathing software can provide intelligent path selection capability,
dynamic configuration, and centralized administration of multiple hosts
from one console.