This page contains a Flash digital edition of a book.
Crisis Management


Staging A Smart Recovery By - Bindu Gopal Rao


In the dynamic world we live in, disasters are common place. Disasters can be broadly classified into natural disasters like floods, hurricanes, tornadoes and earth- quakes and manmade disasters like fires, hazardous material spills, infrastructure failure or bio- terrorism. While natural disasters are not under one’s control, sur- veillance and mitigation planning help prevent loss of life and prop- erty, minimize loss of revenues, avoid loss of reputation, ensure compliance of regulatory, audit, and quality mandates, avoid fail- ure of contractual obligations and boost employees and stakeholder morale. Disaster recovery (DR) planning is a subset of a business continuity management (BCM) and includes planning for IT and non-IT aspects. It requires adop- tion of a policy based approach of BCM. Typically preventive, detec- tive and corrective measures are all part of preparing for a disaster. These controls should be docu- mented and tested regularly. DR is an art and a science promoted by various professional bodies to build and maintain resilience of organizations.


30 GIREM 101


Being Prepared Just about a year ago, a massive


earthquake, followed by a tsu- nami, struck the north-eastern coast of Japan “Unfortunately, this was not just one-of-those- many natural calamities which


be prepared to handle any disas- ter, always,” says Amit Abhyankar, AVP, Practice- DR & BC services, Omnitech


InfoSolutions. Practicing Effective


Narayana Menon, Head - Strat- egy & Marketing The Attachmate Group (NetIQ, SUSE, Novell and Attachmate) India/South Asia


strike Japan regularly. Even after a year, just over 5% of debris has been cleared! The remainder 95% that is about 22 million tons still remains along the coast line. It was Japan’s preparedness to handles disasters that kept the toll on life and property limited. The lesson we all need to learn, as a nation and a community, is to


BCM For effective BCM, one needs to have a structured approach, where BCM is managed as an on-going and a continuous program. Con- tinuous practice will ensure that people and processes will act as expected during actual out- ages – which in reality will always be sudden and unanticipated. “During such drills, one has to simulate real-life conditions and monitor whether the decided Recovery Time and Recovery Point Objectives (RTO & RPO) are achieved. If not, then devia- tions are to be measured and Root Cause Analysis (RCA) carried out. If there’s a repeated failure, one may need to revisit the stages of BIA and ensure that RTO and RPO are correctly determined,” says Abhyankar. According to Narayana Menon, Head - Strat- egy & Marketing Te Attachmate Group (NetIQ, SUSE, Novell and Attachmate) India/South Asia, “typically most organizations are


Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28  |  Page 29  |  Page 30  |  Page 31  |  Page 32  |  Page 33  |  Page 34  |  Page 35  |  Page 36  |  Page 37  |  Page 38  |  Page 39  |  Page 40  |  Page 41  |  Page 42  |  Page 43  |  Page 44  |  Page 45  |  Page 46  |  Page 47  |  Page 48  |  Page 49  |  Page 50