This page contains a Flash digital edition of a book.
EXTRA SOUTH H.REID


Pacific and Central Pacific to San Francisco. The move was made under the direction of Hanford W. Fairweather, whose notes indi- cate that the locomotives departed San Francisco on September 18, 1871, aboard the barkentine Rival for the trip north along the Pacific Coast and up the Columbia River to Kalama, Washington Territory. Arriving on October 11, 1871, Minnetonka was pressed into service hauling supplies as the NP was extended from Kalama towards Taco- ma, the newly-selected western terminus. By September 1872, the Northern Pacific


An Unscheduled, Unhurried Look At Dixie Steam Railroading


From the famous to the obscure, Extra South ex- plores the days of steam railroading in Dixie. Starting with the Wreck of Old 97 and continuing to the Tweetsie, H. Reid weaves the tales of the railroads and railroaders


in an entertaining and delightful fashion. The book concludes with a selection of black & white pho- tographs of main lines and short lines taken by John Krause, William S. Young and others. C00053 $21.95 + s&h


To Order Call: 1-888-526-5365 (M-F; 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. e.s.t.) or on-line at:


www.carstensbookstore.com


Carstens Publications, Inc. Canadian Traction Heritage Series


Montreal Streetcars Volume 4:


“Work & Service Equipment”


BY J.R. THOMAS GRUMLEY 52 pages; 99 photos


(33 photos in colour including covers) 8.5” X 11” soft cover landscape format


$24.95 (all ppd.,taxes included)


Tom takes us on a descriptive journey covering the infrequently seen work and service equipment. While working mainly in the background, this was the equipment that kept the system running smoothly both winter and summer.


Levis Tramways


Company BY


J.R. THOMAS GRUMLEY 36 pages


55 photos (colourized covers)


8.5” X 11” soft cover landscape format $23.95 (all ppd.,taxes included)


This book covers the entire history of the streetcar system which operated on the south shore of the St. Lawrence River across from Quebec City. Includes colour insurance maps, a complete roster & a detailed map highlighting the routes as they existed in 1926.


(U.S. Orders in U.S. Funds) Send Cheque or Intl Money Order to:


BYTOWN RAILWAY SOCIETY P.O. Box 47076, Ottawa ON, Canada K1B 5P9


To see all our publications or order online, go to: www.bytownrailwaysociety.ca


20 DECEMBER 2011 • RAILFAN.COM N E W


had been completed from Kalama to Evaline and crews were pressing towards Tenino. Over the long winter of 1872-’73, Minneton- ka and Otter Tail were overhauled and put back under steam when construction re- sumed in the spring of 1873. Because of fi- nancial difficulties within NP, both locomo- tives were placed in storage, where they remained until late 1875. It is believed that they were reactivated to build a mining branch from Tacoma during 1876-’77, and following this, a branch line from Tenino to Olympia in 1878-’79. In December 1879, Minnetonka was


shipped over the Columbia River to Ains- worth to be used as a switcher and then was used by track gangs laying rail eastward from Ainsworth to Spokane, Wash., — the Pend d’Oreille Division. It was overhauled again in 1881, and in 1883 lost its name when NP renumbered the Western Division locomotives and became No. 302. By 1886, three years after the main line


was completed, NP had greatly expanded its roster, rendering the Porter construction en- gines surplus. Minnetonka was sold to B.B. Turner for $2500 and used on his Black Lake & Sherman Valley Railroad, a logging line out of Olympia, Wash. It left Tacoma for Olympia on February 12, 1886, aboard the steamship Emma Hayward. Turner’s railroad was a contract logger


which supplied the Port Blakely Mill Co. mill with timber. Blakely had extended Turner a line of credit and financed his pur- chase of the Minnetonka, but because Turn- er could not produce enough income to cover his costs, in the fall of 1888 Port Blakely cut off his credit and confiscated his goods, in- cluding the locomotive. It was subsequently transferred to Port Blakely’s Puget Sound & Grays Harbor Railroad at Kamilche, Wash., where it was placed into service during March 1889. It was used once again as a con- struction locomotive, assisting Puget Sound & Grays Harbor track crews laying rail be- tween Kamilche and Montesano, although it was occasionally pressed into passenger ser- vice hauling men between Blakely Road Camp and Summit. The locomotive served six years on the


PS&GH before being sold again in late 1895 to two brothers, Robert and Alex Polson, who were starting a logging outfit near Ho- quiam, Wash. In April 1896, Minnetonka was loaded aboard a scow and delivered to the Polson Brothers Logging Co. and was soon hauling log trains. The Polsons gave it the name Old Betsy. Photographs from this period reveal that


Polson installed injectors and removed the crank-driven water pump. By the early 1900s a large kerosene headlight had been placed on the smokebox front and the link- and-pin couplers had been replaced with knuckle couplers. A roomier cab was fabri- cated by the Polson shop (likely in 1902


when the engine was rebuilt following a brush fire). Old Betsy had been caught in the blaze and the original cab was so badly dam- aged that it had to be replaced. As Polson purchased larger steam locomotives, Old Betsy was relegated to lesser duties, often being used as a switch engine at Railroad Camp. By 1906 it was stationed at the mid- dle fork of the Hoquiam River providing these services, but from time to time it was used on the main line if no other power was available. In 1920, 50 years after Minnetonka start-


ed its career, NP officials learned of its exis- tence through F.R. Fleming, an NP valua- tion engineer at St. Paul. Fleming wanted the railroad to reacquire the engine and be- lieved that it would be a good public rela- tions tool. However, the 0-4-0T was still very much in use, and because NP only offered a small sum of money for it, Polson declined the offer. In the mid-1920s Old Betsy was over-


hauled again and given a large balloon stack fitted with cinder traps, as well as a small oil headlight. The running gear was rebuilt, but the boiler tubes were not replaced. Old Bet- sy served in this configuration until 1928 when it was finally retired after 32 years of service, and it was subsequently abandoned at Hoquiam. In the midst of the Great Depression the


city of Chicago announced that it would stage a World’s Fair in 1933 to celebrate its 100th anniversary, which just happened to coincided with Northern Pacific’s 50th an- niversary. The theme of the fair was “A Cen- tury of Progress,” and while the Depression had dealt a severe blow to the nation’s rail- roads, many sent technology displays. Del- aware & Hudson would field an operating replica of the 1829 0-4-0 Stourbridge Lion; Baltimore & Ohio was to display some of its earliest locomotives and operating replicas, and the Burlington found an 1882-vintage 4-4-0 to restore. Not to be outdone, Northern Pacific an- nounced that it would assemble a railroad history display featuring some of its earliest engines alongside a giant Z-5 class 2-8-8-4. And so, the company renewed its interest in Polson’s ex-NP 0-4-0T and sent General Me- chanical Superintendent B.P. Johnson to Hoquiam in June 1932 to inspect it. Johnson found Smith & Porter construction number 84 on a surviving builder’s plate, and this bit of evidence confirmed that it was one of NP’s original 1870 construction engines. Even better, records revealed that was the first one, the Minnetonka. (In a September 1921 letter to F.R. Fleming, H.K. Porter stated that their paperwork showed that Min- netonka had been C/N 84.) Johnson reported his findings to NP man- agement, adding that the 0-4-0T was in ser- viceable condition but needed a new set of tubes. Northern Pacific immediately offered to trade a small 2-6-0 to Polson in exchange for Old Betsy, but the company declined the offer, as they had planned to refurbish the engine themselves and present it to Wash- ington State University as a gift. Then NP countered with a large 2-8-0 that had re- cently been overhauled, and because Polson needed larger motive power, it was an offer they couldn’t refuse. Old Betsy was soon on its way to St. Paul


to be rehabilitated. At NP’s Mississippi Street shops, mechanics under the direction of Adolph Kress took the locomotive apart.


Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28  |  Page 29  |  Page 30  |  Page 31  |  Page 32  |  Page 33  |  Page 34  |  Page 35  |  Page 36  |  Page 37  |  Page 38  |  Page 39  |  Page 40  |  Page 41  |  Page 42  |  Page 43  |  Page 44  |  Page 45  |  Page 46  |  Page 47  |  Page 48  |  Page 49  |  Page 50  |  Page 51  |  Page 52  |  Page 53  |  Page 54  |  Page 55  |  Page 56  |  Page 57  |  Page 58  |  Page 59  |  Page 60  |  Page 61  |  Page 62  |  Page 63  |  Page 64  |  Page 65  |  Page 66  |  Page 67  |  Page 68