search.noResults

search.searching

dataCollection.invalidEmail
note.createNoteMessage

search.noResults

search.searching

orderForm.title

orderForm.productCode
orderForm.description
orderForm.quantity
orderForm.itemPrice
orderForm.price
orderForm.totalPrice
orderForm.deliveryDetails.billingAddress
orderForm.deliveryDetails.deliveryAddress
orderForm.noItems
Special Report


The shocking truth about installer safety


Professional electricians and installers are risking their lives every day by not following basic safety procedures like using a lock out kit or a voltage tester to check charge before starting work, according to new research carried out on behalf of Super Rodand Louise Taggart, who tells her brother Michael’s Story.


S


ome 825 members of the Electricians’ Community Forum group on Facebook were surveyed about their


safety habits and the findings make shocking reading; a quarter said they rarely or never used a lock out kit to isolate the electrical supply they are working on and one in five don’t even carry one in their van or tool bag. Without a lock out kit in place, installers are


‘working live’ and any accidental contact can cause serious injury or even loss of life. Instead of using a lock out kit, installers have


many weird and wonderful ways to ensure their safety, from using signage (44%) and tape (19%) to verbally telling other trades what they are working on (2%) to avoid accidents. Worryingly, a few respondents said they took no precautions at all (2%).


Vital equipment So why don’t installers use a lock out kit, a vital piece of equipment which could save their life? A third said they worked alone so didn’t need to use one (31%), one in 10 (10%) said they were too much hassle and others felt they were too expensive (9%). Furthermore, 10% didn’t use a lock out kit because their employer didn’t provide them with one, and 4% said they couldn’t find them in their local wholesalers. The survey also asked about attitudes towards using a voltage tester to prove dead before starting work. One in 10 installers said they didn’t use one, and a third of respondents (33%) think they are experienced enough not to make a mistake, so didn’t need to check with a voltage tester. A quarter of installers (25%) said they didn’t use a voltage tester regularly because theirs was broken or needed new batteries. The survey was commissioned by Super Rod


Due to health and safety failings on the site that Michael was working on – including the failure to implement safe isolation procedures and a failure to provide lock off devices and testing equipment – he came into contact with mains voltage power and died.


and Louise Taggart, whose brother Michael Adamson died as the result of an electrical incident in August 2005. Aged just 26, Michael was an experienced electrician but due to a number of health and safety failings on the site he was working on – including the failure to implement safe isolation procedures and a failure to provide lock off devices and testing equipment – he came into contact with mains voltage power and was pronounced dead. Louise now shares Michael’s Story and works


tirelessly to ensure no other family has to endure what her family has been through. Louise said:


“Attitudes towards safe working practices in the electrical industry desperately need to change, and it’s shocking to hear that so many installers’ lives are being gambled with through non-supply or use of vital equipment which is there to ensure they get home safely to their loved ones every night.


Get smart “My brother would still be alive today and celebrating his 40th birthday next year had safe working practices been followed on that job and I would urge installers to get smart about their safety – if not for themselves, then for their family and friends.” Super Rod Managing Director Malcolm Duncan


heard Louise speak at a conference in Scotland last year and was inspired to support her cause. He said: “As soon as I heard Louise tell her story, I knew it was something we had to support to help her raise awareness. We didn’t know how widespread the issues of non-compliance would be but the reality revealed by the survey was worse than we had initially thought. “The use of a lock out kit and voltage tester


needs to be standard practice for EVERY installer, and we are committing our own resources to raising awareness of the issue and finding solutions that will encourage smarter, safer working environments for our electricians.” The survey of installers was conducted by the


Electricians’ Community Forum, which has more than 15,000 members on Facebook. 825 members completed a short survey in April 2018 about their attitudes to safety and in particular the use of lock out kits and voltage testers. To read more about Michael’s Story, visit


www.michaels-story.net www.super-rod.co.uk


The use of a lock out kit and voltage tester needs to be standard practice for EVERY installer, and we are committing our own resources to raising


awareness of the issue and finding solutions that will encourage smarter, safer working environments for our electricians.


40 | electrical wholesalerSeptember 2018 www.ewnews.co.uk


Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28  |  Page 29  |  Page 30  |  Page 31  |  Page 32  |  Page 33  |  Page 34  |  Page 35  |  Page 36  |  Page 37  |  Page 38  |  Page 39  |  Page 40  |  Page 41  |  Page 42  |  Page 43  |  Page 44  |  Page 45  |  Page 46  |  Page 47  |  Page 48  |  Page 49  |  Page 50  |  Page 51  |  Page 52  |  Page 53  |  Page 54  |  Page 55  |  Page 56  |  Page 57  |  Page 58  |  Page 59  |  Page 60  |  Page 61  |  Page 62  |  Page 63  |  Page 64  |  Page 65  |  Page 66  |  Page 67  |  Page 68