search.noResults

search.searching

note.createNoteMessage

search.noResults

search.searching

orderForm.title

orderForm.productCode
orderForm.description
orderForm.quantity
orderForm.itemPrice
orderForm.price
orderForm.totalPrice
orderForm.deliveryDetails.billingAddress
orderForm.deliveryDetails.deliveryAddress
orderForm.noItems
Out & About


‘Paint your Wagon’ 250th Anniversary (1767-2017)


Waggon & Horses, Matley By Mark Sheppard and Joyce Raven


The newly refurbished Waggon and Horses, between Stalybridge and Mottram in Longdendale is one of the most prestigious venue’s in the district, where a warm welcome awaits you, with your hosts; Joe & Lorraine Smith, and their friendly staff.


Originally built as a farmhouse in 1653 by the Garside Family, and situated 602ft above sea level, it would become part of the Earl of Stamford’s Estate. It was known as the Kings Head in 1767 when John Garside was the innkeeper. By 1780, it had been renamed the Waggon and Horses, then kept by James Hopwood who was also a farmer. Opposite, once stood the Roe Cross toll bar (Matley Lane side, now the site of the apartments) on the Manchester to Saltersbrook Turpike road. The inn was much frequented by Carriers, Waggoner’s, and the farming fraternity. The building has been much altered, which included a Georgian facade. In 1811, John Lowood took over and often held timber sales here, with Oak’s taken from the surrounding farms belonging to the Stamford Estate where he remained until 1837. Work had commenced on the building of the ‘Deep Cutting’ in January 1835. It opened on 5th March 1839, and amongst many festivities held here included exhibiting a frog, which the navvies had found deep inside a rock they had excavated, while digging in the hillside. The newly appointed proprietor at the inn was Samuel Garratt who resided here with his wife Esther, and daughter Mary.


In 1851, Samuel Garratt is described as an innkeeper, and farmer of 30 acres employing four men, one of which was a brewer. Inquests often took place at the Waggon and Horses, where the body of the deceased were kept in the stables, (now part of the car park) which also could accommodate four horses for travellers. On one occasion, a man had been found frozen to death on the road outside the front door early one morning, by a young girl from nearby Bardsley Gate cottage. His body was kept here at the inn. Matley Lane is an ancient medieval highway, and the inn situated in a prominent spot by the hillside. It was known affectionately as the ‘Sand Mill’ with a grinding machine kept at the back of the premises. George Harris took over in 1858, with his wife Ann, and remained here until 1892, the Stayley harriers often called here for a gill, en-route on their chase in the surrounding district.


On 9th June 1896, the Earl of Stamford Estate offered the Waggon and Horses for sale by auction, (as was the Dog and Partridge down the road), with a garden suitable for a pleasure ground. It was purchased by Messrs, Shaw and Bentley brewers of Bardsley Brow, Ashton under Lyne, for £1500, while The Dog and Partridge fetched a £1000. Other inns


NEWLY REFURBISHED


from the Stamford estate were offered for sale at the same time, which included the Snipe Inn, Audenshaw, and the Sportsman beer house, Millbrook. The Waggon and Horses was later purchased by Robinsons Brewery of Stockport in 1910. Up until then it had also been a farm, and for many years after, an added attraction for the local children was the pear and apple tree’s in the adjacent garden.‘Hylton’s Pierrots often performed nearby in a field at weekends, circa 1905, one of which included Jack Hylton, who became the world famous bandleader. The Mottram Wakes trail hunts were very popular with visitors, as the dogs raced past the entrance near to the cutting on their way to the finish at the village. This attracted thousands of spectators every year, however it sadly ended in 1939.


Interestingly in November 1915, the landlord Mr. Thomas Hartley, advertised for sale, his superb 12 horse-power roomy two-seater Zedel Car, described with a ‘dicky behind, a speedometer, and a Klaxon Horn’, at the Waggon and Horses ‘Hotel’, Matley. Also in May 1931, a De Havilland Moth aeroplane crashed in a field, just below Harrop Edge, at Matley, after a nose dive, and burst into flames.


In 1940, ten bombs were dropped nearby, behind the Rising Moon pub or ’Skennin Moon’as it was known locally, (The pub had been rebuilt in 1927). In 1944, a massive influx of GI soldiers ‘Yanks’ who had camped on Hobson Moor overnight, in preparation en-route for the D Day landings, descended on the Waggon and Horses and drank it dry. In 1950, Jack and Mary Patchett took over, then Patricia Turner in 1978, followed by major alteration’s on the pub in general, and finally Joe & Lorraine Smith in 1997, who celebrate 20 years as tenant’s of this fine establishment. Is it haunted? Well that’s another story. What do you think?


From all of us at ‘Around Saddleworth and Tameside Magazine’ Congratulation’s Joe & Lorraine.... Cheers!


Mark Sheppard & Joyce Raven of Peak Dale Historical Research offer services, including historical research on anything from cottages, farms, inns, etc. For More information on how they can help you please email them on: peakdaleresearch@yahoo.co.uk


Food Times: Monday to Saturday 12 Noon - 9pm Sunday


12 Noon - 8pm


Weekly Changing Chef's Specials Great Menu


New Cocktail Menu Seniors Lunch


QUIZ NIGHT Every Thursday @ 9.30pm FREE to Enter Follow us on:-


Smaller Portions for Smaller Appetites


Mon - Sat 12.00 - 2.00pm Two Courses £8.95


joe@waggonhorses.com


Larger Parties Catered for.... Please contact for details!


Tel: 01457 764837 www.aroundsaddleworth.co.uk


Midweek Set Menu Served


Mon - Thurs 5.00pm - 9.00pm Two Courses £13.95


www.waggonhorses.com around SADDLEWORTH 13


Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28  |  Page 29  |  Page 30  |  Page 31  |  Page 32  |  Page 33  |  Page 34  |  Page 35  |  Page 36  |  Page 37  |  Page 38  |  Page 39  |  Page 40  |  Page 41  |  Page 42  |  Page 43  |  Page 44  |  Page 45  |  Page 46  |  Page 47  |  Page 48  |  Page 49  |  Page 50  |  Page 51  |  Page 52  |  Page 53  |  Page 54  |  Page 55  |  Page 56  |  Page 57  |  Page 58  |  Page 59  |  Page 60  |  Page 61  |  Page 62  |  Page 63  |  Page 64  |  Page 65  |  Page 66  |  Page 67  |  Page 68  |  Page 69  |  Page 70  |  Page 71  |  Page 72  |  Page 73  |  Page 74  |  Page 75  |  Page 76