search.noResults

search.searching

note.createNoteMessage

search.noResults

search.searching

orderForm.title

orderForm.productCode
orderForm.description
orderForm.quantity
orderForm.itemPrice
orderForm.price
orderForm.totalPrice
orderForm.deliveryDetails.billingAddress
orderForm.deliveryDetails.deliveryAddress
orderForm.noItems
The railway at Staughton Manor even included a model of the Forth Bridge! (RH&DR Association Heritage Group Collection).


as a memorial to Louis. In early 1925 John commissioned Henry Greenly to find a suitable location for the railway, a site, which on comple- tion, would be no less than the best main line in miniature in the world. Greenly was well known to both Howey and Zborowski as an engineer and designer of locomotives for engine-building companies such as Bassett-Lowke and Davey Paxman. He had designed locos for both men and had also played a major role in the restoration of the Ravenglass line after World War One. John had decided that he wanted a line at least seven miles long, and that it should be straight and level enough not to hinder the speed of the trains!


During his survey of potential sites, Greenly visited Sir Herbert Walker, General Manager of the Southern Railway. The company was experi- encing a growth in traffic and was looking to set up new lines. They had studied Romney Marsh in Kent, between Folkstone and Dungeness, and in 1906 had proposed building a light railway or electric tramway. Sir Herbert and Henry Greenly thought that it could well be the best location for John Howey’s project. After a visit to New Romney in September 1925, John set about turn- ing an idea into reality and within two months a formal application for a Light Railway Order had been submitted to the Ministry of Transport.


The eight-mile, level route extended from Hythe through Dymchurch to New Romney. The various local councils involved were generally in favour of the project but opposition was raised by landowners and the local bus company. All these opinions were aired during a public enquiry in January 1926, much to Howey’s frustration. However, the Light Railway Order was granted in February and orders were immediately placed for the building of locomotives and rolling stock, the laying of the track and the construction of a station and loco works at New Romney. By the middle of the summer this area was complete enough for a small demonstration to take place in which the Duke of York (later George VI) and Sir


37


Capt Howey (standing) with the designer responsible for the whole of the RH&DR, Henry Greenly. They are at what would become New Romney station in 1926. At this time the first two locomotives were in store in Binn’s Garage prior to the engine shed being ready to house them. Binn’s Garage can be seen in the back- ground and is still standing (RH&DR Association Heritage Group Collection).


Nigel Gresley (Chief Mechanical Engineer of the LNER) travelled along a two-mile stretch of track, with John Howey, behind the locomotive Northern Chief. A year later, on 16th July 1927, the official opening of the railway took place, with Earl Beauchamp, Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports, clearing the starting signal at Hythe as a long train full of guests and dignitaries set out


Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28  |  Page 29  |  Page 30  |  Page 31  |  Page 32  |  Page 33  |  Page 34  |  Page 35  |  Page 36  |  Page 37  |  Page 38  |  Page 39  |  Page 40  |  Page 41  |  Page 42  |  Page 43  |  Page 44  |  Page 45  |  Page 46  |  Page 47  |  Page 48  |  Page 49  |  Page 50  |  Page 51  |  Page 52  |  Page 53  |  Page 54  |  Page 55  |  Page 56  |  Page 57  |  Page 58  |  Page 59  |  Page 60  |  Page 61  |  Page 62  |  Page 63  |  Page 64  |  Page 65  |  Page 66  |  Page 67  |  Page 68