search.noResults

search.searching

note.createNoteMessage

search.noResults

search.searching

orderForm.title

orderForm.productCode
orderForm.description
orderForm.quantity
orderForm.itemPrice
orderForm.price
orderForm.totalPrice
orderForm.deliveryDetails.billingAddress
orderForm.deliveryDetails.deliveryAddress
orderForm.noItems
NEWS 4


YOU NEED TO KNOW


5 STORIES HOT


Operators acted swiftly as Turkish army staged coup


Juliet Dennis juliet.dennis@travelweekly.co.uk


Tui and Thomas Cook acted swiftly to allow cancellations to Turkey during the failed military coup at the weekend before reinstating normal booking conditions on Monday.


Both operators sought to


reassure customers this week after almost 300 people were killed as government supporters took to the streets to oppose the coup. Thomas Cook and Tui allowed


5 Few cancellations after Nice atrocity


Amie Keeley amie.keeley@travelweekly.co.uk


The trade was thanked for its support following last week’s massacre in Nice amid reports of few cancellations and as Brits were urged to “keep travelling”.


Agnes Angrand, France Tourism


Development Agency deputy director UK and Ireland, said it was too early to predict the impact on visitor numbers, but while there had been “some cancellations” to Nice and the French Riviera in the past week, UK tourists were continuing to book.


Eighty-four people died when an


attacker drove a lorry into people celebrating Bastille Day along the city’s Promenade des Anglais. Brits make up the highest number of foreign tourists to the city, with 146,644 visitors in 2015. “The overall market was looking


very good for 2016, until now,” said Angrand. “But the British market is the most resilient. Even after the Paris attacks. We saw a 7% dip in overall visitors, from the UK it was 4%. “I want to thank the British


travel industry and British tourists for their tremendous support. France is open for business.


6 travelweekly.co.uk 21 July 2016


“I want to thank everybody in the British travel industry for their tremendous support”


“We have to keep travelling, otherwise the terrorists win.” Bookings through the trade


make up about 17% of UK visits to France. Most are special interest package holidays. Trafalgar said 12 groups


were due to travel to Nice this week and nobody had asked to cancel. Despite a “double-digit” percentage fall in bookings to


France after the Paris attacks, chief executive Gavin Tollman said the company would not be reduce capacity. “We go out of our way to support destinations [after tragic events],” he said. SuperBreak said it had a few guests in Nice on Friday and a handful who were travelling imminently. It is allowing cancellations or amendments on bookings to the French Riviera until July 31. Royal Caribbean International’s


Navigator of the Seas and Celebrity Cruises’ Celebrity Constellation cancelled calls in Nice on Friday and Saturday.


customers due to fly to Turkey on Saturday or Sunday to cancel and receive a full refund or rebook an alternative holiday. Thomas Cook group head of


customer welfare Carol MacKenzie said in a blog post: “We understand the natural response for many people is to question the safety of the country as a whole.” But she stressed tourist resorts


were “hundreds of miles” from Istanbul and Ankara. Sebastian Ebel, Tui Germany


chief executive and executive board member, visited Antalya to


Government supporters took to streets


get feedback from its 300 reps and to show support for Turkey. Tui sends two million customers


annually to Turkey, but this year the number is around half that. All-inclusive operator Neilson


is delaying the launch of its 2017 Turkey programme, due out in August. Managing director David Taylor said: “We want to see how it settles down. We may come out with a smaller programme.” The company is carrying half last year’s 16,000 passengers to


Turkey this year after closing two of its Beachclubs. Red Sea Holidays said customers


were not asking to cancel. Deputy managing director Jason Hilton said: “Early signs are that people will stick with their holiday. Other options available are expensive.” Agents described Turkey as “dead and buried” for this summer. The Foreign Office said resorts other than Marmaris were unaffected, but urged tourists to be vigilant.


PICTURE: REUTERS


Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28  |  Page 29  |  Page 30  |  Page 31  |  Page 32  |  Page 33  |  Page 34  |  Page 35  |  Page 36  |  Page 37  |  Page 38  |  Page 39  |  Page 40  |  Page 41  |  Page 42  |  Page 43  |  Page 44  |  Page 45  |  Page 46  |  Page 47  |  Page 48  |  Page 49  |  Page 50  |  Page 51  |  Page 52  |  Page 53  |  Page 54  |  Page 55  |  Page 56  |  Page 57  |  Page 58  |  Page 59  |  Page 60  |  Page 61  |  Page 62  |  Page 63  |  Page 64  |  Page 65  |  Page 66  |  Page 67  |  Page 68  |  Page 69