This page contains a Flash digital edition of a book.
TERRITORY REPORT USA


The ESA report found that of the $15.4bn (£9.2bn) spent on games last year, 53 per cent (£4.9.bn) was generated by digital products, including downloads, DLC, mobile apps and social gaming. The other 47 per cent (£4.3bn) was accounted for by sales of new and pre-owned boxed games. But counteracting these statistics is the continued support for boxed products from US consumers. The figures paint a challenging picture for physical retail as the money to be made continues to decline at a yearly rate. But US consumers prefer to buy boxed rather than digital, a new survey says. The poll by NPD found that when digital and physical products are priced the same 74 per cent of US consumers prefer to buy their games in a box. But signs of changing demand


are visible. The same report from the previous year found that 21 per cent of polled consumers preferred digital, which would indicate that five per cent have made the switch from physical in the last 12 months alone.


DIGITAL GROWTH Elsewhere in the US, tablet gaming is now the fastest growing sector. Data from app store analytics specialist Distimo found that the iPad overtook the iPhone in terms of consumer spending last November. Apple has taken a hit in the US


market as the iPhone continues to lose ground to Android devices and the Google Play Store closes the gap. But the colossal demand for gaming on the iPad has meant Apple and the iOS app store remain firmly ahead in terms of game revenue generated. Publisher BigFish Games reports


that mobile penetration has now reached 101 per cent in the country – meaning that there is at least one mobile device for every American. Overall, a total of 48m consumers now play games on mobile devices.


June 6th 2014


The US is also home to some of the biggest gaming events on the calendar. E3 is the industry’s largest trade show and last year’s event set new attendance records as 48,200 industry professionals flocked to LA.


THE FACTS INFO


Of the money spent on games last year, 53 per cent of it was generated by digital products .


And on the development side


of things, the Global Developers Conference attracts studios from across the industry. The popularity of the event has


grown in recent years, attracting bigger names and this year featured the reveal of Sony’s Project Morpheus.


64


Population: 317,518,000 Currency: US dollar GDP (Per Capita): $52,839 Capital City: Washington D.C. Languages: English, Spanish


KEY RETAILERS Best Buy, EB Games, GameStop. Just4Games, MCD Video Games, Play N Trade, Target, Walmart


KEY DISTRIBUTORS EOne, GameWorld, Importel, Koch Media, Play N Trade, US Games Distribution


TOP DEVELOPERS 343 Industries, Bethesda Softworks, BioWare, Bungie Studios, Blizzard Entertainment, Crystal Dynamics, Double Fine Productions, Epic Games, Gearbox Software, Insomniac Games, Irrational Games, Maxis, Obsidian Entertainment, Rockstar San Diego, Valve


LOCAL PUBLISHERS Activision, Bethesda, Capcom, Deep Silver/Koch Media, Disney, EA, Konami, Microsoft, Namco Bandai, Nintendo, Rising Star, Take-Two, Sega, Sony, Ubisoft, Warner Bros


www.mcvuk.com


Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28  |  Page 29  |  Page 30  |  Page 31  |  Page 32  |  Page 33  |  Page 34  |  Page 35  |  Page 36  |  Page 37  |  Page 38  |  Page 39  |  Page 40  |  Page 41  |  Page 42  |  Page 43  |  Page 44  |  Page 45  |  Page 46  |  Page 47  |  Page 48  |  Page 49  |  Page 50  |  Page 51  |  Page 52  |  Page 53  |  Page 54  |  Page 55  |  Page 56  |  Page 57  |  Page 58  |  Page 59  |  Page 60  |  Page 61  |  Page 62  |  Page 63  |  Page 64  |  Page 65  |  Page 66  |  Page 67  |  Page 68  |  Page 69  |  Page 70  |  Page 71