* * * SPECIAL EDITION ON ELDS * * * WORKSHOP ATTENDEES CAUGHT ENJOYING THE PRESENTATIONS
limited exceptions that do NOT have to comply: • Drivers who use paper logs for no more than 8 days during any 30 day period.
• Drivers of vehicles manufactured before model year 2000, due to electronic connectivity capability of the vehicle.
• Drivers who conduct driveaway- towaway operations where the vehicle is the product being delivered.
• Short haul drivers using the logbook timecard exception (i.e., 100 air miles)
Short Haul Drivers: Drivers who are not required to complete
logs because they meet one of the short haul exemptions in section 395.1 (e) of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations
are not required to use ELDs. FMCSA rec- ognizes that these drivers occasionally do not meet the conditions of these exemp- tions. In those instances, drivers are required to keep a paper log; however, driv- ers who use a paper log more than 8 days in any 30 day period must start using ELDs.
Location Monitoring: ELDs must record a vehicle’s location at
every change of duty status and at least every 60 minutes. To protect driver privacy and against harassment, the devices will record location during on-duty time at a precision of approximately one mile and during off-duty time of within 10 miles.
Supporting Documents: Because ELDs negate the need for sup-
porting documents to verify driving time, FMCSA has implemented new document retention requirements to verify on-duty,
not driving, time. The final rule requires fleets to retain up to eight supporting doc- uments from several categories per driver for each 24-hour period. They are: • Bills of lading, itineraries, schedules or equivalent documents indicating the origin and destination of a trip;
• Dispatch records, trip records, or equivalent documents;
• Expense receipts related to on-duty, not driving, time;
• Text messages, email messages, instant messages, or other electronic mobile communications transmitted through a fleet management system;
• Payroll records, settlement sheets, or other documents reflecting driver payments.
BALTIMORE POTOMAC TRUCK CENTERS, INC.
Baltimore Truck Center, Inc. 610 Nursery Road
Linthicum, MD 21090 410-636-6200
Baltimore Truck Center, Inc. 803 Central Avenue
Linthicum, MD 21090 410-636-9330
NAVY BLUE: PMS 2965 TEAL BLUE: PMS 313
FONT: GOTHAM BOOK Regular www.mmtanet.com
BEHIND THE WHEEL — Q4 Winter 2016 15 BEHIND THE WHEEL ~ Q3 Fall 2016 15
Baltimore Truck Center, Inc. 11715 Greencastle Pike
Hagerstown, MD 21740 301-733-1707
Potomac Truck Center, Inc. 3371 Kenilworth Avenue Bladensburg, MD 20710 301-864-2000
Potomac Truck Center, Inc. 7750 Progress Court Gainesville, VA 20155 703-753-6444
Now offering full-service leasing and rental!
| Page 2
| Page 3
| Page 4
| Page 5
| Page 6
| Page 7
| Page 8
| Page 9
| Page 10
| Page 11
| Page 12
| Page 13
| Page 14
| Page 15
| Page 16
| Page 17
| Page 18
| Page 19
| Page 20
| Page 21
| Page 22
| Page 23
| Page 24
| Page 25
| Page 26
| Page 27
| Page 28
| Page 29
| Page 30
| Page 31
| Page 32
| Page 33
| Page 34
| Page 35
| Page 36