ROUND THE COUNCILS READING:
ICE TAXIS/PHVs MAY BE GONE BY 2028
Changes to Reading taxis and PHVs could see petrol and diesel vehicles phased out in the next five years. Reading Borough Council is devising a strategy for how they could be used for 2023-28 in an effort to improve air quality. A key action for the council is to require all licensed vehicles to be either electric or hybrid by 2028, including the 225 taxis, 392 PHVs and 118 executive PHVs.
Changes to taxi operations moving forward could see more app-based taxi services introduced in the future. The strategy states: “The adoption of new technology by the sector and most significantly by the public, has resulted in a much-changed sector. The biggest change is the ease with which passengers can engage services using an app on a mobile phone. “The council is supportive of technological develop- ments which both improve the customer experience and ensure safety measures are adhered to. “App-based companies are licensed in the borough and are subject to the same conditions and requirements as other operators. The council will consider new applications which are in line with this strategy and comply with legal requirements.” While an attempt by Uber to get a licence to operate in Reading was rejected in 2016, Ola Cabs won permission to operate in 2019. The strategy also addresses private hire drivers’ hopes of getting access to bus lanes. Currently, bus lanes can be used for buses, black cabs licensed in Reading and cabs licensed elsewhere that are wheelchair accessible. Last year, the Reading Private Hire Association was set up to advocate for these drivers and also push for access to bus lanes, such as the outbound lane in Kings Road. The strategy states: “The council will continue to monitor the use of bus lanes and consider if any further traffic orders could be trialled or introduced. “The council considers that any changes to access must not undermine bus services and reliability and, if made, should primarily support Reading licensed vehicles.” It was added that the council may consider restricting taxi access to bus lanes for less polluting vehicles only. The Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Strategy 2023- 28 was under consultation, concluding on Monday, September 18.
PHTM OCTOBER 2023
TUNBRIDGE WELLS: CARD PAYMENTS COULD BE MANDATORY
Cab drivers in Tunbridge Wells could be made to take fares paid by cards following concerns about public safety in cases where people are “left stranded”. A Tunbridge Wells BC report said it had received “a growing number of complaints from members of the public” unable to get a taxi at night because drivers said they didn’t have card readers. The council is updating its policy and a public consultation on proposed changes has just been agreed by the authority’s licensing committee. Reports surfaced in February of frustration and anger from passengers refused a ride because they didn’t have cash. Consequently, the licensing team wrote to drivers and encouraged them to take card payments. Revisions to the policy to be consulted on include taxis having a sign inside stating card payments could be taken. Drivers are also expected to give their views on how to incorporate surcharges into their pricing for those using debit or credit cards. Currently, the “general position’ is drivers can’t pass on that charge, said the report. Drivers have previously raised concerns about the problems of using card payments in areas of low wi-fi coverage. The report to the licensing committee on September 12, said: “Traditionally the preferred method of payment for taxi drivers is cash, however with advances in technology some of our licensed vehicles now have the facility to accept credit/debit card payments, either via an app or through card payment terminals. “However, the majority do not. This has resulted in the council receiving a growing number of complaints from members of the public who were unable to get a taxi late at night because the driver did not have the facility to accept payment by card. “To improve public safety by ensuring people are not left stranded because they do not have cash, members are asked to consider as part of the policy revision to make it a mandatory requirement that all vehicles are equipped with machines that are able to take contactless payments from mobile phone apps, such as Apply Pay, as well as bank cards and display signage showing that card payments are accepted.” The committee decided a public consultation on the draft revised Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Policy should be held. The committee will consider the results of the consultation before adoption of the policy.
37
Page 1 |
Page 2 |
Page 3 |
Page 4 |
Page 5 |
Page 6 |
Page 7 |
Page 8 |
Page 9 |
Page 10 |
Page 11 |
Page 12 |
Page 13 |
Page 14 |
Page 15 |
Page 16 |
Page 17 |
Page 18 |
Page 19 |
Page 20 |
Page 21 |
Page 22 |
Page 23 |
Page 24 |
Page 25 |
Page 26 |
Page 27 |
Page 28 |
Page 29 |
Page 30 |
Page 31 |
Page 32 |
Page 33 |
Page 34 |
Page 35 |
Page 36 |
Page 37 |
Page 38 |
Page 39 |
Page 40 |
Page 41 |
Page 42 |
Page 43 |
Page 44 |
Page 45 |
Page 46 |
Page 47 |
Page 48 |
Page 49 |
Page 50 |
Page 51 |
Page 52 |
Page 53 |
Page 54 |
Page 55 |
Page 56 |
Page 57 |
Page 58 |
Page 59 |
Page 60 |
Page 61 |
Page 62 |
Page 63 |
Page 64 |
Page 65 |
Page 66 |
Page 67 |
Page 68 |
Page 69 |
Page 70 |
Page 71 |
Page 72 |
Page 73 |
Page 74 |
Page 75 |
Page 76 |
Page 77 |
Page 78 |
Page 79 |
Page 80 |
Page 81 |
Page 82