Two women who punched a cabbie on an off licence trip have received “no real punishment”, according to readers of the Liverpool Echo. According to the Echo, the incident took place late on 18 October 2019. Desmond Thabo collected Lorraine Ennis (left) and Jacqueline Preston (right) from a pub in West Derby to take them to an off licence. On the way the driver was asked by Preston for his name and Ennis asked where he was from.” Mr Thabo told the women he was from Africa to which Pre- ston said: “We’re not from Africa, we are from England’ before Ennis exclaimed “f*** you African” and went into the off licence. The driver asked Preston to ask Ennis to stop making racist comments or he wouldn’t continue the journey. Despite the polite request Ennis continued the horrific lan- guage and Mr Thabo stopped the taxi and told the women


An armed robber who stole cash from a taxi driver during a violent stand-off has been branded a “lowlife” by his victim and put behind bars. The Sunderland Echo reports that Daniel Bates, 38, had “lured” the driver to pick him up in the early hours of May 29, 2019, by booking a nine-mile trip through City Taxis. Newcastle Crown Court heard that the cabbie, who was described as “stoic and robust”, asked for the fare upfront, as was the procedure. Bates was not able to give him the money and so the driver said he was not going to take him. Bates then opened the driver’s door, took his coin dispenser and ran away. The driver ran after him, caught up with him and there was a short scuffle. Bates appeared to “give in” but then sudden- ly produced a Stanley knife and threatened to slash the driver up. The cabbie backed off and Bates ran away with the coin dispenser. Bates, from Sunderland, denied robbery but was convicted by a jury after a trial. Judge Sarah Mallett sentenced him to five years behind bars with an extended two-year licence period. The judge said Bates poses a risk of harm to the pub- lic and told him: “This was, in my view, a planned robbery, in that you lured the taxi driver intending to steal from him.”


to get out as he “wasn’t prepared to carry on”. Ennis then called him the N- word and “hit him to the back of the head whilst in the taxi”. She then punched him in the face, breaking his glasses, and both women punched and kicked him as he lay on the ground. Ennis, who has a previous conviction for a racist assault, even hit the cabbie with

an “unknown object”, leaving him with a cut on his head. The women, both aged 58, were charged with racially aggra- vated assault and found guilty following a trial. The judge ruled that as Ennis had previous convictions for “a number of matters” an immediate custodial sentence was appropriate. She was locked up for 20 weeks, half of which she will serve on licence. Preston was handed a 16-week sen- tence suspended for 12 months and must complete 20 Rehabilitation Activity Requirements.


A man who did not have enough cash to buy the drugs he wanted, smashed a PHV window, injuring a woman and repeatedly punched the car’s driver, last August. According to Bolton News, David Hunt and his friend Chloe Johnson had called a taxi from Metro Cars to take them to Tonge Moor, where Hunt, 36, planned to buy drugs. But Bolton Crown Court heard how he became frustrated and an argument broke out with Miss Johnson, who remained in the taxi, after he visited two properties and came back empty handed. The taxi driver, Saqab Khan was concerned that he had been directed to park in a dark back street. The defendant then, for no apparent reason, opened the driver’s door and punched Mr Khan several times to the head causing bruising. Then Hunt punched the taxi window, smashing it and injur- ing Miss Johnson. Mr Khan drove to Metro Car’s base just a few yards away and paramedics were called but Miss Johnson refused treatment for her bruised and swollen face. Hunt was arrested and pleaded guilty to causing actual bodily harm, assault and criminal damage.

Because of the time Hunt spent in custody the Judge sen- tenced him to 23 weeks in prison, suspended for 18 months. Hunt was also electronically tagged; subject to a curfew for a month; must participate in 20 days of rehabilitation activi- ties and was ordered to pay Mr Khan £340 in compensation.


Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28  |  Page 29  |  Page 30  |  Page 31  |  Page 32  |  Page 33  |  Page 34  |  Page 35  |  Page 36  |  Page 37  |  Page 38  |  Page 39  |  Page 40  |  Page 41  |  Page 42  |  Page 43  |  Page 44  |  Page 45  |  Page 46  |  Page 47  |  Page 48  |  Page 49  |  Page 50  |  Page 51  |  Page 52  |  Page 53  |  Page 54  |  Page 55  |  Page 56  |  Page 57  |  Page 58  |  Page 59  |  Page 60  |  Page 61  |  Page 62  |  Page 63  |  Page 64  |  Page 65  |  Page 66  |  Page 67  |  Page 68  |  Page 69  |  Page 70  |  Page 71  |  Page 72  |  Page 73  |  Page 74  |  Page 75  |  Page 76  |  Page 77  |  Page 78  |  Page 79  |  Page 80  |  Page 81  |  Page 82  |  Page 83  |  Page 84  |  Page 85  |  Page 86  |  Page 87  |  Page 88  |  Page 89  |  Page 90  |  Page 91  |  Page 92  |  Page 93  |  Page 94  |  Page 95  |  Page 96  |  Page 97  |  Page 98  |  Page 99  |  Page 100  |  Page 101  |  Page 102