September/October 2024
ONE of Belfast city centre’s oldest and most historically significant entries, Sugarhouse, has reopened to the public after more than 50 years. So named because it was
the site of one of the city’s two sugar refineries, Sugarhouse Entry was fortunate to survive the destruction of large sections of High Street during the Belfast Blitz in 1941. Sugarhouse Entry was once of
the site the Dr Franklin
Tavern, meeting place of the United Irishmen (also known as ‘The Muddler’s Club’). Formed in 1791,
the United
Irishmen’s aim was to unite Protestants, Catholics and Dissenters to remove English rule. Their leader, Henry Joy McCracken, was brought to Sugarhouse Entry by his sister, anti-slavery campaigner Mary
Council Approve £14 Million Investment for County Antrim Hotel
ANTRIM and Newtownabbey Planning Committee has approved plans for a £14 million investment for the Kingfisher Country Estate in Templepatrick, which will significantly enhance its tourism offering. The plans comprise
an extension to
the main hotel building for an additional 68-bedroom suites with a ground floor
function room and conservatory, as well as a mix of shepherd huts, glamping pods, log cabins and a hotel manager’s lodge. It is estimated that 30-50 construction
jobs will be created during the build with a further 70-100 full and part time jobs upon completion. The proposed extension located to the southern section of the hotel, will effectively
look out over the golf course and pond, and will consist of a 4-storey elongated annex building. The new extension will house a new function room, toilets, lobby, bar, storage, and cloakrooms on the ground floor with 20-bedroom suites accommodated on the first, second and third floors respectively with the remaining 8 suites accommodated on the fourth floor.
A glazed corridor will connect to the
proposed sunroom and the existing hotel building. 8 glamping cabins, 10 shepherd huts and 3 larger log cabins all with self-catering facilities, will provide visitors with alternative holiday accommodation all year round. The approved plans will also provide an additional 304 parking spaces.
www.nitravelnews.com
Ann McCracken, to receive medical
cleansing,
thanks to extensive repair
funded
THE LOCAL TOURIST | 77
Belfast’s Historic Sugarhouse Entry Reopened After More than Half a Century attention in the
forlorn hope of resuscitating him after his public hanging at Cornmarket in 1798. Now,
work,
repainting, installation of new paving and interpretive signage,
by the
Department for Communities and managed by Belfast City Council, people can once again visit this historic entry which runs from High Street to Waring Street, parallel to Bridge Street.
Page 1 |
Page 2 |
Page 3 |
Page 4 |
Page 5 |
Page 6 |
Page 7 |
Page 8 |
Page 9 |
Page 10 |
Page 11 |
Page 12 |
Page 13 |
Page 14 |
Page 15 |
Page 16 |
Page 17 |
Page 18 |
Page 19 |
Page 20 |
Page 21 |
Page 22 |
Page 23 |
Page 24 |
Page 25 |
Page 26 |
Page 27 |
Page 28 |
Page 29 |
Page 30 |
Page 31 |
Page 32 |
Page 33 |
Page 34 |
Page 35 |
Page 36 |
Page 37 |
Page 38 |
Page 39 |
Page 40 |
Page 41 |
Page 42 |
Page 43 |
Page 44 |
Page 45 |
Page 46 |
Page 47 |
Page 48 |
Page 49 |
Page 50 |
Page 51 |
Page 52 |
Page 53 |
Page 54 |
Page 55 |
Page 56 |
Page 57 |
Page 58 |
Page 59 |
Page 60 |
Page 61 |
Page 62 |
Page 63 |
Page 64 |
Page 65 |
Page 66 |
Page 67 |
Page 68 |
Page 69 |
Page 70 |
Page 71 |
Page 72 |
Page 73 |
Page 74 |
Page 75 |
Page 76 |
Page 77 |
Page 78 |
Page 79 |
Page 80 |
Page 81 |
Page 82 |
Page 83 |
Page 84 |
Page 85 |
Page 86 |
Page 87 |
Page 88