This page contains a Flash digital edition of a book.
ARTICLE | DERMAL REJUVENATION | upper, mid and lower abdomen circumference in


three different age groups who had been treated with carbon dioxide therapy, as well as significant weight loss and a reduced thigh circumference15


. No serious


complications were reported, and the author concluded that carboxytherapy is both safe and effective. These results align with those originally reported by Brandi1


, and demonstrate that this treatment


modality is both safe and effective. Carboxytherapy has also shown to be effective when administered postoperatively, after liposuction for example. Jose Leon-Solarte, in a presentation at the 2007 American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery, detailed that out of a total of 40 patients treated over a 6-week period, 34 (85%) had a dramatic improvement in cutaneous flaccidity, and the remainder (15%) had partial results.


Figure 6 Subcutaneous injections to the submental area


Figure 7 Treatment of localised fat pads — before (A) and after (B) three treatment sessions (using RioBlush)


Dermal regeneration Intradermal carboxytherapy for the treatment of ageing or damaged skin was developed from an animal-based blind, interventional, cross-sectional study, which injected carbon dioxide into the dermis of wistar rats3


.


The control group received injections of saline. The researchers in the study observed the compacting of collagen fibres following the infiltration of carbon dioxide, and especially when this took place intradermally. Furthermore, there was a notably improved appearance in the skin, as well as intense collagen turnover. The use of CDT on damaged or ageing skin also results in a thicker appearance of the dermis, the collagen fibres being distributed more diffusely1


, and stimulates collagen synthesis3 . This


means that carboxytherapy can also be used to improve scar tissue through the increase in collagen deposition and reorganisation, and the improvement in skin texture and tone16


.


Carboxytherapy for aesthetics It is not surprising therefore, that carboxytherapy is now used as an aesthetic treatment to improve skin laxity and the overall appearance. The therapy can be used to treat ageing skin on the face and décolletage, dark undereye circles, stretch marks, cellulite, and localised fat pads. However, as with any medical treatment, there


Figure 8 Clinical results of skin rejuvenation, before (A) and after (B) 10 treatment sessions


48 ❚ January/February 2012 | prime-journal.com


Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28  |  Page 29  |  Page 30  |  Page 31  |  Page 32  |  Page 33  |  Page 34  |  Page 35  |  Page 36  |  Page 37  |  Page 38  |  Page 39  |  Page 40  |  Page 41  |  Page 42  |  Page 43  |  Page 44  |  Page 45  |  Page 46  |  Page 47  |  Page 48  |  Page 49  |  Page 50  |  Page 51  |  Page 52  |  Page 53  |  Page 54  |  Page 55  |  Page 56  |  Page 57  |  Page 58  |  Page 59  |  Page 60  |  Page 61  |  Page 62  |  Page 63  |  Page 64  |  Page 65  |  Page 66  |  Page 67  |  Page 68  |  Page 69  |  Page 70  |  Page 71  |  Page 72  |  Page 73  |  Page 74  |  Page 75  |  Page 76  |  Page 77  |  Page 78  |  Page 79  |  Page 80  |  Page 81  |  Page 82  |  Page 83  |  Page 84  |  Page 85  |  Page 86  |  Page 87  |  Page 88  |  Page 89  |  Page 90  |  Page 91  |  Page 92
Produced with Yudu - www.yudu.com