This page contains a Flash digital edition of a book.

A builder has been fined £2,000 after two of his workers were photographed on a house roof in Burnley without safety measures in place.

Mohammed Yasin, who trades as Southfield Property Maintenance, was prosecuted by HSE following the incident at a semi-detached house on Matlock Grove on 10th April 2014.

Burnley Magistrates’ Court heard that a passing HSE inspector spotted the men installing a dormer window for a loft conversion at the property.

Mr Yasin, 39, was inside the house and his two workers were close to the chimney on the outside, without any scaffolding or other safety measures to prevent them from being injured in a fall.

PROVIDER FACES HSE North Essex Partnership University Foundation Trust (NEPUFT) has been fined £10,000 for safety failings after a resident with a history of trying to escape fell from the first floor window of a secure unit in Harlow.

The 18-year-old suffered two fractures to her back and a dislocated right knee after falling a distance of three-and-a-half metres from her dormitory bedroom window at the Derwent Centre on 27th July 2013.

Colchester Magistrates’ Court heard the incident could have been prevented had a window restrictor on her bedroom dormitory window been properly set to the required 100mm.

Speaking after the hearing HSE Inspector Kim Tichias, said: “There have been a number of similar accidents in recent years, including fatalities, and any windows that are accessible to vulnerable people should be restrained so that they cannot be opened far enough to allow people to fall out. ”


CRUSHED TO DEATH A Kilmarnock employer has been fined £20,000 for safety failings after a worker was crushed to death when a heavy gate came off its hinges and fell onto him.

Malcolm Macdonald Kennedy, 69, of Riccarton, Kilmarnock, a retired fitter, had been working on a casual basis for Alistair Thomas Corrie, who trades as A Corrie Skip Hire, for around eight years when the incident happened in 2011.

Mr Kennedy was often the first to arrive at the firm’s premises and used his own set of keys to open up the gates. It appears that when Mr Kennedy opened a set of double gates at the side of the compound, one of the 180kg gates came off its hinges and fell on top of him.

Mr Kennedy was found an hour later by another employee after he saw that one of the gates was lying on the ground and went to investigate. Despite attempts by paramedics to resuscitate Mr Kennedy, he was later pronounced dead at the scene.


To comply with the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order, as an employer it is your legal responsibility to ensure all staff and visitors in the workplace can evacuate safely in an emergency, this includes able bodied people as well as the mobility impaired.

It is paramount that the appropriate procedure and equipment is readily available, as an employer you can no longer rely on the intervention of the Fire Service.

Failure to do so could result in criminal prosecution; or in the event of a fatality be prosecuted for corporate manslaughter.

Evac+Chair International are the world’s No.1 supplier of evacuation chairs.

Can you evacuate safely?


Emergency Solutions


Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28  |  Page 29  |  Page 30  |  Page 31  |  Page 32  |  Page 33  |  Page 34  |  Page 35  |  Page 36  |  Page 37  |  Page 38  |  Page 39  |  Page 40  |  Page 41  |  Page 42  |  Page 43  |  Page 44  |  Page 45  |  Page 46  |  Page 47  |  Page 48  |  Page 49  |  Page 50  |  Page 51  |  Page 52