This page contains a Flash digital edition of a book.
Above: Formation of both helicopter types, EC145 and BO-105 Photo: Stefan Haupt


Opposite: The EC145 with Wackerbauer Plattform (radio controlled platform for moving helicopters) Photos: Caterina Hessler


in Salzburg, Austria. The remaining helicopter is still in service and has the call sign “Habicht 2.” After the hand-off from the previous crew


in the morning, the crew on duty around Stefan Haupt checks the tasks scheduled for the day, plans the missions and services the aircraft in order to maintain its operational readiness. The next step is the pre-flight check as it is current- ly performed by Haupt. After taking a thorough look at the engine he proudly elaborates on the helicopter’s equipment. “Our ‘Habicht’ has a searchlight, an infrared camera with video option, a cargo hook and a winch and fast roping devices. Furthermore it is fully equipped for IFR and NVG flights. There is an emergency doctor´s backpack on board and the possibility to install a stretcher underline the ECs medevac capabilities. The EC also offers the possibility to work as a relay station for transmissions. We are often alert- ed for search flights during nighttime. Senior cit-


ROTORCRAFTPROFESSIONAL uled mission it can be


izens or hikers unfamiliar with the terrain often get lost in the forests and we are able to find them within a very short time. We also support the ground forces in their search for offenders. About 60 percent of our missions are search flights. The remaining 40 percent consist of con- trol flights and air support for the police officers on ground. Sometimes we fly special missions, too. Fire fighting or rescue missions are among those,” Haupt explains. If special equipment is required for a sched- installed quickly. The


Eurocopter has basically the same interior as the BO-105. In addition it also features a hoist. This hoist makes the EC145 unique in Thuringia. No other helicopter in the state is able to rescue per- sons by winch. “Although we


have no high


mountain area,” explains the pilot, “some of our hills have steep cliffs. If a hiker or other person falls off such a cliff, we are the only unit who can


24


Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28  |  Page 29  |  Page 30  |  Page 31  |  Page 32  |  Page 33  |  Page 34  |  Page 35  |  Page 36  |  Page 37  |  Page 38  |  Page 39  |  Page 40  |  Page 41  |  Page 42  |  Page 43  |  Page 44  |  Page 45  |  Page 46  |  Page 47  |  Page 48  |  Page 49  |  Page 50  |  Page 51  |  Page 52