Module 1 • Arctic Exploration: Case Study
Student Page 1-7.3d
Collect Station Data for Chukotka!
1. Go to http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/station_data/
2. Choose Data Set after homogeneity adjustment,
type the station name Mys Uelen and click Search
This weather station is located by the community of
Uelen in Chukotka along the GoNorth! route.
3. Click on Mys Uelen
4. Below the graph appearing, in the lower left corner
select Download monthly data as text
5. Data is displayed in columns. This is annual average temperature in Celsius for the time when
recordings are available from this station.
6. Calculate an average for the first ten years in the record 1918–1928 and an average for the most
recent ten years in the record 1996–2006.
Average for 1930–1940:
Average for 1996–2006:
Calculate the difference between the two averages: