Maryland Will Miss... Fair Hill International

founding member John Ryan died on April 16 at the age of 81. Before FHI, Ryan was the Executive Director of the Chester- land Horse Trials until the event ended in 1988. He then was one of the founding members of FHI helping to fi nd a location for the event and get the fi rst international three- day running. He became a constant fi gure at Fair Hill, both at its recognized horse trials and starter events, and often volunteered at the facility’s open schooling days as well. In 2017, Ryan was named FHI’s Volunteer of the Year, a fi t- ting tribute for a man who served behind the scenes of the international event from the fi rst year it was run until his death. Before each event he would meet with the course designer and course builders, making detailed notes as to how each fence should be placed, painted, decorated and fl agged. With a core team of volunteers, he then prepped each fence for competition and also strung the miles of ropes that marked the galloping lanes. During the event, you would often see him in some sort of all-terrain vehicle out on the cross-country course making sure everything was in place and ready to go. Outside the FHI community, Ryan had be-

John Ryan

come a Technical Delegate in 1968 and was Area II Chairman of USCTA (predecessor of USEA) for several years. More recently, he was actively involved with FHI’s bid for a Five-Star T ree Day Event and once granted, he was involved with the early stages of the Maryland 5* project. Ryan graduated from the University of

Pennsylvania with a degree in Architecture. Lifelong horseman James R. Wyatt, Jr., died | 800-244-9580

on April 17 at the age of 83. Wyatt was born in Virginia and began a career in steeplechasing as a jockey for Richard Atkinson. He then rode for Hall of Fame trainers Burley Cocks, Mick- ey Walsh and Mikey Smithwick. Wyatt met his future wife Betty Hogan at a backstretch baseball game and the couple were married in Saratoga Springs, NY, in 1961. Wyatt retired from riding races after a fall while schooling at Aqueduct in 1962. He then took to the owner and trainer side of the sport working from his

Pennsylvania farm before retir- ing to cheer on his son, Mary- land trainer Todd Wyatt.

Brian Rubendall of Virginia

died on April 20 of pancreatic cancer. Rubendall was married to Nancy Schechtman, part- time instructor at Reddemeade Farm in Ashton, MD. Ruben- dall was diagnosed seven years ago and was proud of proving doctors wrong by living much longer than their prognosis. He even ran two 5Ks while receiv- ing chemotherapy treatment. Rubendall and Schechtman

were married for nearly 23 years. Frances G. Miller of Highland died on

April 20 at the age of 84. Miller was a member of Iron Bridge Hunt Club, which later became Howard County-Iron Bridge Hounds. She taught riding lessons at Willow Pond Farm, which she established in 1978, and often took students and boarders to local horse shows and hunter paces. She loved walking hound puppies with the club. Miller also volunteered at Columbia Horse Center when they had a therapeutic riding program. She worked at the Grey Pony in Highland for many years and was a commercial artist. Miller was very in- volved with TROT and fought hard on many occasions to keep local trails open to horse- back riding.

Ocean City Police offi cer Sgt. Charles

“Chip” Green of Salisbury died on May 6. He was 47. Originally from Hampstead, Sgt. Green joined the Ocean City Police Depart- ment as a seasonal offi cer in 1994 and worked for four summers before being hired full time in 1998. During his 22-year career, Sgt. Green was primarily assigned to the Patrol Division and was the supervisor and assistant coordi- nator of the Mounted Unit at the time of his death. Sgt. Green and his horse Benson have been an icon on the Boardwalk for the past 10 years. He was known for going above and be- yond for the unit, fi nding ways to make horses and riders a better team. Sgt. Green competed in the Horses Healing

Maryland Military Mounted Police Competi- tion at the Maryland State Fair last summer with fellow offi cers. T eir riders earned several ribbons. Sgt. Green also organized community outreach, bringing the Mounted Unit to such

events as Winterfest of Lights, Special Olym- pics Torch Run, Polar Bear Plunge, Cones with Cops and the Mounted Open House.

Solveig Lauritzen Smith died on May 6.

She was 83. Smith grew up in Prince George’s County where she often rode ponies. She at- tended George Washington University for one year before choosing marriage over college in 1955. She and her husband Berlen Leon Smith had fi ve children and lived in Carroll County on a farm since 1962. T ey raised dogs and Quarter Horses. In 1990, Smith moved to a small farm in Marston where she lived until 2014. After selling that farm, she moved to the Carroll Lutheran Village. Smith began working as a secretary at the Applied Physics Lab in Howard County in 1965. In 1972, she accepted a secretarial position in the Carroll County Zoning offi ce and in 1974, was ap- pointed Zoning Administrator. She held that position until her retirement in 1996.

Emilie Middleton Durham died on May 12 at the age of 93. T e Hampstead resident was born in Baltimore and attended Gunston School in Centreville before graduating from Agnes Irwin School in Philadelphia, PA, in 1943. She went to Goucher College and then Johns Hopkins University before beginning a lifelong career in education. Durham met her husband Norman William Durham at Camp Gunston and they were married for 65 years. After retiring from teaching, she helped run Lone Horse Farm in Hampstead with her daughter and son. She was a founding member of the Prettyboy Hunt Club and a volunteer for Carroll County T erapeutic Riding and T e Retreat at Beckleysville.

Eugene Joe “Seaweed” Johnson died on

May 13 in Washington, DC. Johnson was a popular fi gure among the crew behind the scenes at the Washington International Horse Show. He worked as a member of WIHS’s jump crew, constructing fences for each class, and had also been the offi cial ring gate opener. He got his start with WIHS in 1961 and since then has worked the show circuit, often hitch- ing rides to and from the big shows in the back of horse vans or catching a bus.



Fair Hill International

Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28  |  Page 29  |  Page 30  |  Page 31  |  Page 32  |  Page 33  |  Page 34  |  Page 35  |  Page 36  |  Page 37  |  Page 38  |  Page 39  |  Page 40  |  Page 41  |  Page 42  |  Page 43  |  Page 44  |  Page 45  |  Page 46  |  Page 47  |  Page 48  |  Page 49  |  Page 50  |  Page 51  |  Page 52