search.noResults

search.searching

dataCollection.invalidEmail
note.createNoteMessage

search.noResults

search.searching

orderForm.title

orderForm.productCode
orderForm.description
orderForm.quantity
orderForm.itemPrice
orderForm.price
orderForm.totalPrice
orderForm.deliveryDetails.billingAddress
orderForm.deliveryDetails.deliveryAddress
orderForm.noItems
Industry news


Companies plead guilty after death of five-year- old girl in a lift


B


efore Bournemouth Crown Court, two companies pleaded guilty following a Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation


into the death of a five-year-old girl who became trapped while using a lift at her home in Weymouth. On 13 August 2015, Alexys Brown got into the


lift and put her head through a damaged vision panel. As the lift moved upward, her head got stuck between the lift and the ground floor ceiling. Alexys died as a result of her injuries. Synergy Housing Limited of West Street, Poole


and Orona Limited of Europa View, Sheffield Business Park both pleaded guilty to breaching Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc


Act 1974. They are due to be sentenced at Bournemouth Crown Court on 14-15 January 2019. Charges against a third company, Aster Property


Ltd, under Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974, have been ordered to lie on file.


A HSE spokesperson said:


“HSE acknowledges the guilty pleas but will not make a further comment until after sentencing.”


Fitter sent to prison for unsafe gas work


A self-employed gas fitter has been sentenced to 16 months in prison after he carried out unsafe gas work while falsely pretending to be Gas Safe Registered. Nottingham Crown Court heard that Richard


Trezise was prosecuted following investigations by Health and Safety Executive (HSE) inspectors at seven different locations where the Gas Safe Register had been alerted to unsafe work. Mr Trezise had produced Landlord’s Gas


Safety Certificates and falsely claimed to be Gas Safe Registered by using the registration number of another business who had never heard of him. He left customers with faulty installations that presented risks of gas leaks and dangerous accumulations of the products of combustion. A HSE investigation found that, between May 2015 and July 2016, Richard Trezise had carried out


work while unregistered and while falsely pretending to be Gas Safe Registered at seven different locations in Nottinghamshire, Mid Glamorgan, Gwent and Yorkshire. This was contrary to the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and in breach of a prohibition notice previously served on Mr Trezise. Richard Trezise had previously pleaded guilty to


21 offences under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 in Nottingham Magistrates Court. He was sentenced to a 16 months prison and a concurrent 28 day sentence for not attending the court hearing. Speaking after the hearing HSE inspector Emma


Madeley said: “Richard Trezise undertook gas work which he knew he was not registered to do. Some of the work was unsafe and it was fortunate that no one was harmed.


“All gas work must be done by registered Gas Safe engineers to ensure the highest standards are met to prevent injury and loss of life. The public should always ask to see the gas engineer’s identification and check the registration number at www.gassaferegister.co.uk or


ringing gas safe register customer helpline 0800 408 5500.” HSE inspector Emma Madeley


A property management company has been sentenced after failing to carry out an asbestos survey prior to undertaking extensive refurbishment works. Huntingdon Magistrates’ Court heard that


Thistlemoor Healthcare and Management Ltd undertook construction work at two properties, one of which was part of a medical centre in Peterborough. In this time, the company failed to carry out an asbestos survey for either property, both of which were likely to contain asbestos. An investigation by the Health and


Safety Executive (HSE) found the company undertook and carried out construction which was likely to disturb asbestos containing materials during the strip out and part demolition of the two properties. Despite this, the company failed in its duty to carry out an asbestos survey for either property.


Thistlemoor Healthcare and Management Ltd of Thistlemoor Road, Peterborough pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 5 of Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012 and was fined £15,000 and ordered to pay costs of £1,805.60


Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector


Samantha Wells said: “The risk of exposure to asbestos could so easily have been avoided if the company had carried out a suitable and sufficient asbestos assessment to identify the presence of asbestos within properties prior to commencing refurbishment work. Companies should be aware HSE will not hesitate to take appropriate enforcement action against those that fall below the required standards.”


www.housingmmonline.co.uk | HMM September 2018 | 21


Peterborough company fined for failing to undertake asbestos assessment


Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28  |  Page 29  |  Page 30  |  Page 31  |  Page 32  |  Page 33  |  Page 34  |  Page 35  |  Page 36  |  Page 37  |  Page 38  |  Page 39  |  Page 40  |  Page 41  |  Page 42  |  Page 43  |  Page 44  |  Page 45  |  Page 46  |  Page 47  |  Page 48  |  Page 49  |  Page 50  |  Page 51  |  Page 52