20 QUESTIONS WITH... Angel Escobedo
Angel Escobedo is one of the top young freestyle wrestlers in the United States.
An NCAA champion for Indiana and a past U.S. Junior World
Team member, Escobedo placed second at the 2010 U.S. World Team Trials at 55 kg/121 lbs.
Escobedo, an Indiana native, was a four-time NCAA All- American and three-time Big Ten champion at 125 pounds for the Hoosiers.
He is a resident-athlete at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colo.
Escobedo took time out of his busy schedule to answer 20 questions for USA Wrestler. 1. Favorite movie? Goodfellas
2. Favorite TV show? King of Queens
3. What kind of music do you listen to in your iPod before you compete? Rap
4. Favorite food when not watching your weight? Chipotle burrito
5. Favorite sport other than wrestling? Soccer
6. Favorite athlete to watch in another sport? LeBron James
7. Favorite wrestler and why?
John Smith. He was very technical and he took American wrestling to a whole new level. His style was rare at the time, but now you see many wrestlers trying to emulate his style. 8. Best piece of advice you've received? You can always learn from someone, no matter how old or great you are.
9. What kind of advice would you give a younger wrestler who is just taking up the sport?
Win or lose, you can always have a heart of a champion and never give up.
10. Best moment as a wrestler so far? Winning an NCAA title. 11. Name three people you would love to invite to dinner? Kevin Hart, Oscar De La Hoya, Michael Jordan. 12. What is one thing you are afraid of? Spiders.
13. How did you become involved in wrestling? My uncles.
14. What do you like best about training in Colorado? I like that I get to concentrate on freestyle techniques and strategies every day at practice.
15. What is one thing about you most people don’t know? Even though I travel a lot, I am extremely afraid of flying. 16. Any idea of what you will do after your competitive career is over? Hopefully, I will be able to get my MBA and work for a big company in downtown Chicago.
17. What do you do during a typical flight overseas? Well, after fighting my fears for a couple of hours, I usually watch movies and try to read a little to fall asleep. 18. Coolest place you've traveled to and why? Moscow Russia, just because it was great to go and see the
Angel Escobedo battles during the 2010 U.S. World Team Trials in Council Bluffs, Iowa. Escobedo, a past NCAA champion for Indiana, placed second at the Trials at 55 kg/121 lbs. Tony Rotundo photo.
motherland of wrestling. The people of Russia were extremely passionate about wrestling.
19. What would it mean to make the 2012 Olympic Team? It would be a lifelong dream come true and it would also mean a lot to my family, friends and community. I think the glory and fulfillment of making the team would have a positive impact on everyone that I have crossed paths with. 20. Funniest guy on the team and why?
J.D. Bergman. He always has one liners and can impersonate so many people. He definitely lightens the mood when we travel overseas.
21 USA Wrestler
| Page 2
| Page 3
| Page 4
| Page 5
| Page 6
| Page 7
| Page 8
| Page 9
| Page 10
| Page 11
| Page 12
| Page 13
| Page 14
| Page 15
| Page 16
| Page 17
| Page 18
| Page 19
| Page 20
| Page 21
| Page 22
| Page 23
| Page 24
| Page 25
| Page 26
| Page 27
| Page 28
| Page 29
| Page 30
| Page 31
| Page 32
| Page 33
| Page 34
| Page 35
| Page 36
| Page 37
| Page 38
| Page 39
| Page 40
| Page 41
| Page 42
| Page 43
| Page 44