BORDER CROSSINGS/CANADA CUSTOMS Te Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) is responsible for border access, services and security. Te Canada Border Services Agency web site eng.html details many answers to questions frequently asked by travellers. Te Canadian Food Inspection Agency handles the rules concerning the temporary importing of pets such as dogs. For expected wait times crossing Canada/United States land borders visit http:// When you enter Canada, a customs officer will ask to see your national passport and a valid visa, if one is necessary. Everyone from every country arriving in Canada by Air, Land or Sea needs a valid passport, or equivalent travel documents.

Customs officers at all Canadian entry points are authorized to interview persons seeking entry to Canada to determine admissibility. Teir goal is to facilitate the entry of legitimate travellers as quickly as possible.

As a visitor, you can bring certain goods into Canada for your own use as “personal baggage.” Personal baggage includes clothing, camping and sports equipment, cameras, tape recorders and personal computers. Tis also includes travelling in vehicles, vessels and aircraſts. First and foremost, as required by law, all goods must be declared at the time of your initial contact with Customs. Customs does conduct import/export examinations. For the most part, these are routine in nature, and serve to verify declarations.

Visitors to British Columbia are entitled to bring in a reasonable number of personal effects. Visitors aged 19 years or over may import up to 50 cigars, 200 cigarettes, 200g (7 oz) of tobacco, 1.14 L (40 oz) of spirits or 1.5 L (53 imperial oz) of wine or 8.5 L (288 oz) of beer or ale for personal consumption. Currency and monetary instruments equal to or greater than CAN $10,000 must be reported to Canadian Customs. All revolvers, pistols, fully automatic firearms and other weapons, and self-defence sprays such as pepper spray and mace are prohibited entry into Canada. All firearms (ie: hunting rifles, shotguns) and personal protection devices (ie: stun guns, mace, pepper spray) must be declared.

For more information on customs regulations call the Canada Border Services Agency at 1-800-461-9999 within Canada and 204-983- 3500 outside Canada or visit

TEMPORARY IMPORTATION OF VEHICLES AND PRIVATE BOATS During your stay in Canada, as a visitor or a temporary resident (not seasonal resident), you can temporarily import passenger and


recreational vehicles, such as snowmobiles, boats and trailers, as well as outboard motors, for your personal use. However, you have to export these items by the date you end your visit, unless you are issued a Form BSF375, CBSA Report (formerly known as Form E99).

DRIVER LICENSES A valid out-of-province driver’s license, including an international driver’s license, can be used in British Columbia for up to six months.

SEAT BELTS British Columbia law requires that all drivers and passengers use seat belts while driving or riding in a motor vehicle. Strict car/booster regulations are in place for children up to the age of twelve years old, and they must be seated in the rear seats in an age/weight appropriate restraint system. For more details, visit

HELMETS Helmets are required by all bicyclists and motorcyclists.

MOBILE CELL PHONES It is against the law to drive while using a handheld mobile phone or other electronic device. Drivers may use hands-free cell phones that are voice activated, or activated by one touch, provided they are securely attached to the vehicle or driver’s body i.e. an ear piece. For more information, visit gov/content/transportation/driving-and-cycling.

ALCOHOL AND DRIVING It is a criminal offence to operate, or be in the care or control of a vehicle, whether in motion or not, with a blood alcohol content of more than .08 percent. Police in B.C. can issue an immediate roadside prohibition to an impaired driver with a blood-alcohol content of .05 or higher. Drivers with blood alcohol content between .05 and .08 may also face fines and license suspensions, and have their vehicles impounded. Breath samples may be requested by a peace officer and refusing a breathalyzer test could also result in criminal charges.

VEHICLE ACCIDENTS If you are involved in an accident, immediately contact the local police or Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP), then your insurance company.

ROAD CONDITIONS For information on road conditions 24 hours a day check the Drive BC website at Te website includes links to various other information sources such as Inland Ferry Schedules, BC Ferries Waits, Border Crossing Times and Major Incidents and Road Closures.

TOWING AN RV OF LESS THAN 4,600 KG Most recreational trailers weigh less than 4,600 kg (10,100 pounds) when fully loaded, and thus may be driven by a driver with a passenger car driver’s license (Class 5 or 7 in British Columbia). An air brake endorsement is required if either the truck or trailer has air brakes. For more details, visit licences/Pages/Towing-a-recreational-trailer. aspx

TOWING AN RV MORE THAN 4,600 KG For RV trailers weighing more than 4,600 kg (10,100 pounds) and neither the recreational trailer nor your truck has air brakes, you need: • Class 1, 2 or 3 driver’s license, or • Class 4 or 5 driver’s license with a heavy trailer endorsement (code 20), or • Class 4 or 5 driver’s license with a house trailer endorsement (code 07).

If you want to tow an RV that weighs more than 4,600 kg and either the recreational trailer or your truck has air brakes, you need a Class 1 driver’s license with an air brake endorsement.

For more information check the Insurance Corporation of BC (ICBC) website at licences/Pages/Towing-a-recreational-trailer. aspx

TRAILER WEIGHT CALCULATION Please note that the weight of the trailer is measured when fully loaded and the best way to determine this is to visit a truck weigh scale. Some RV owners assume the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVRW) marked on their trailer is its actual weight. It isn’t. Te GVWR is the maximum weight a vehicle, with its load, is designed to safely carry. Operating an overloaded vehicle is dangerous - and illegal.

SEWAGE DISPOSAL Sani-stations are found at various locations throughout the province, including campgrounds, some gas stations and RV dealerships. For a list of places to dump go to Visitors are asked to respect the environment by disposing of grey water and sewage in the proper fashion.

Campgrounds, RV Dealers & Rentals offering sani-station facilities to their customers can be identified in Super Camping by looking for the sani-station symbol in their listings b.

FERRIES BC Ferries serves almost 50 ports along the British Columbia coastline. For information on ferry schedules, rates and vehicle reservations call BC Ferries toll free at 1-888-223-3779 from

Super Camping / Select Lodging - Travel Tips

Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28  |  Page 29  |  Page 30  |  Page 31  |  Page 32  |  Page 33  |  Page 34  |  Page 35  |  Page 36  |  Page 37  |  Page 38  |  Page 39  |  Page 40  |  Page 41  |  Page 42  |  Page 43  |  Page 44  |  Page 45  |  Page 46  |  Page 47  |  Page 48  |  Page 49  |  Page 50  |  Page 51  |  Page 52  |  Page 53  |  Page 54  |  Page 55  |  Page 56  |  Page 57  |  Page 58  |  Page 59  |  Page 60  |  Page 61  |  Page 62  |  Page 63  |  Page 64  |  Page 65  |  Page 66  |  Page 67  |  Page 68