LOS ANGELES FIREMEN’S RELIEF ASSOCIATION MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES January 11, 2017
MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES
January 11, 2017 CALL TO ORDER
President Bob Steinbacher called the meeting of the Board of Trustees of the Los Angeles Firemen’s Relief Association to order at 10:55 a.m.
MEMBERS PRESENT: Bob Steinbacher, President Jeff Cawdrey, Vice President Andrew Kuljis, Secretary Trustee Frank Aguirre Trustee Gayle Sonoda Trustee Gene Bednarchik Trustee Tim Freeman Trustee Rick Godinez Trustee John Jacobsen Trustee David Peters Trustee David Ortiz Trustee Chris Hart Trustee Tyler Tomich Trustee Craig White Trustee Steve Ruda Trustee Joe Vigil Trustee Steven Domanski - Pension
Trustee Doak Smith – Pension Trustee
Tim Larson – Pension Todd Layfer - Executive Director Liberty Unciano – Controller- Treasurer
MEMBERS ABSENT: Trustee Chris Stine (Excused) Trustee Steve Berkery (Excused) Trustee Mike Sailhamer (Excused)
GUESTS: Dave Wagner, Grapevine Editor Tom Stires, Retired
INVOCATION AND FLAG SALUTE
Rick Godinez led the invocation. 56 • March 2017
David Peters led the flag salute.
RATIFICATION OF MINUTES
Bob Steinbacher entertained a motion to ratify and dispense with the reading of the minutes of the Board of Trustees meeting held December 7, 2016 and the minutes of the Special Board meeting held December 14, 2016. David Peters so moved. Chris Hart seconded. There was no further discussion or objections.
Motion carried to ratify and dispense with the reading of the minutes of the Board of Trustees meeting held December 7, 2016 and the minutes of the Special Board meeting held December 14, 2016.
1) Andy Kuljis administered the Oath of Office to new Trustee Gayle Sonoda. Bob Steinbacher indicated that Gayle is the first female Trustee to serve on the LAFRA Board of Trustees.
Andy Kuljis administered the Oath of Office to the Group Two Trustees: Rick Godinez, Craig White, David Peters and Doak Smith.
Andy Kuljis administered the Oath of Office to President Bob Steinbacher and Vice President Jeff Cawdrey.
2) Bob Steinbacher referred to the LAFRA 110th Anniversary Dinner Dance and indicated that it was a successful event with a good time had by all.
3) Bob Steinbacher informed that the LAFRA Health Fair will be held on April 6th at the Frank Hotchkin Memorial Training Center.
4) Bob Steinbacher indicated that they will be having their Board Educational Offsite meeting in May. The location is not yet determined.
5) Bob Steinbacher informed the Board that the Pechanga Reunion will be held May 22nd through May 25th. He indicated that they will begin posting information on the website just as soon as it’s available.
6) Bob Steinbacher referred to the Member Summary Sheets and indicated that they are sent to the membership to encourage them to update their information such as beneficiaries and/or coverage if necessary.
The Board entered into Executive Session at 11:16 am. The Board adjourned from Executive Session at 11:50 am.
The Board discussed a personnel matter and took action.
VICE PRESIDENT REPORT
1) Jeff Cawdrey briefly reviewed the upcoming conferences for 2017 and asked Trustees to let him know which conferences they were interested in attending.
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR’ S REPORT
1) Todd Layfer informed the Trustees that the IRS Mileage Rate has changed to 53.5 cents per mile effective January 1, 2017. He asked that they use the new Trustee Expense Voucher provided to them.
2) Todd Layfer informed that the Audit Committee planning meeting will be on January 26th at 8:30 am.
3) Todd Layfer referred to the Budget presentation and indicated that he will first present it to the Admin committee on January 25th and then for approval at February 8th Board meeting.
4) Todd Layfer reported on the LAFRA.org
website statistics for 2016 and indicated that we have had over 45K new visitors and indicated that the top pages visited were Funeral Notices, Home Page and Grapevine. He reported that the WODFF. org website had 7,205 new visitors with the top pages being the Charity Page and the Golf Tournament.
5) Todd Layfer indicated that the annual onsite investment meeting will be held on February 15th at Beacon Pointe Advisors in Newport Beach.
INVESTMENT COMMITTEE REPORT
Bob Steinbacher indicated that Garth Flint will be at the LAFRA office on January 24th to discuss investment allocation goals for 2017.
ADMINISTRATIVE COMMITTEE REPORT
Frank Aguirre presented the following motions.
The committee recommends and I so move to pay the usual and customary bills in the amount of $883,217.71. There was no discussion or objections.
Motion carried to pay the usual and customary bills in the amount of $883,217.71.
The committee recommends and I so move to pay $750 for a foursome of golf and tee sign for the Firefighter’s Quest annual
| Page 2
| Page 3
| Page 4
| Page 5
| Page 6
| Page 7
| Page 8
| Page 9
| Page 10
| Page 11
| Page 12
| Page 13
| Page 14
| Page 15
| Page 16
| Page 17
| Page 18
| Page 19
| Page 20
| Page 21
| Page 22
| Page 23
| Page 24
| Page 25
| Page 26
| Page 27
| Page 28
| Page 29
| Page 30
| Page 31
| Page 32
| Page 33
| Page 34
| Page 35
| Page 36
| Page 37
| Page 38
| Page 39
| Page 40
| Page 41
| Page 42
| Page 43
| Page 44
| Page 45
| Page 46
| Page 47
| Page 48
| Page 49
| Page 50
| Page 51
| Page 52
| Page 53
| Page 54
| Page 55
| Page 56
| Page 57
| Page 58
| Page 59
| Page 60
| Page 61
| Page 62
| Page 63
| Page 64