This page contains a Flash digital edition of a book.

allow the Jayhawk to have better commu- nications with other Homeland Security and local law enforcement agencies. Ad- ditionally, chemical, biological and radio- logical detection and defense capabilities and a heads up display are being added. The second part of the Jayhawk mod- ernization is the upgrade from the J-model

to the T-model. This is being done in sev- eral segments with the largest part hap- pening in the cockpit. The Rockwell Collins’ Common Avionics Architecture System or CAAS will provide fully inte- grated flight and mission management ca- pabilities. This system is used in U.S. Army Blackhawks and several other DOD

agencies and gives the pilots five multi- function displays. In addition to display- ing the primary flight instruments, these displays are capable of displaying radar, sensor system, Traffic Collision Avoid- ance System (TCAS) information or res- cue hoist camera video in the cockpit. All the avionics work will require replacing about 20 percent of the existing wiring; the other 80 percent will be replaced as part of a service life extension program result- ing in a completely refreshed wiring har- ness on the T-model. Additionally there will be new sensor and radar systems. The Electro Optical Infrared Sensor System or ESS, manufactured by FLIR Systems Inc., was chosen as the sensor package. This system is a variant of FLIR Systems’ com- mercially available Talon system and will be common to both the Dolphin and the Jayhawk. The ESS turret incorporates in- frared and daylight cameras, an eye-safe laser range finder and laser illuminator. This state of the art system uses software controlled image fusion to put it all to- gether and will greatly improve the air- crew’s ability to read vessel identification markings in low light conditions. While the engines won’t be getting any more powerful they will see some minor up- grades. These upgrades are mainly to en- sure that the Jayhawk engines remain configured like those of the other services’ H-60s. This will allow the Coast Guard to continue to take advantage of the supply chain and logistical support offered by the much larger fleets of H-60s in the Army and Navy. In addition to the above men- tioned upgrades, of the top 20 pieces of equipment that are breaking and could cause a mission to be cancelled or readi- ness to be reduced, 12 of them are being replaced providing for greater reliability and reduced maintenance.

The H-60 Conversion Project is being managed by the Coast Guard’s Acquisi- tion Directorate or CG-9 as they are known internally. With the Coast Guard acting as the Lead Systems Integrator for the project, CG-9 is responsible for over- seeing much of the funding and handling the program management responsibilities. LCDR Jared E. King, the Coast Guard’s H-60 Deputy Project Manager, noted that the Coast Guard has leveraged the work done by the Army and the Navy in up- grading their 60s to a glass cockpit. Not only did this save the Coast Guard a con-

28 ROTORCRAFT PROFESSIONAL • August 2009 Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28  |  Page 29  |  Page 30  |  Page 31  |  Page 32  |  Page 33  |  Page 34  |  Page 35  |  Page 36  |  Page 37  |  Page 38  |  Page 39  |  Page 40  |  Page 41  |  Page 42  |  Page 43  |  Page 44  |  Page 45  |  Page 46  |  Page 47  |  Page 48  |  Page 49  |  Page 50  |  Page 51  |  Page 52
Produced with Yudu -