This page contains a Flash digital edition of a book.
Pieces of the past


Loyola magazine’s “Then and now” concept was inspired by a photo essay originally featured in the Phoenix. Phoenix photography editor Ellen Bauch placed old photographs in front of their current setting, offer- ing a new perspective on each. We are proud to reprint selections from Bauch’s photo essay.


DUMBACH HALL: Dumbach was built in 1908, making it the oldest structure on the Lake Shore Campus.


1930


MADONNA DELLA STRADA: Muralist Melville Steinfels next to his fresco in Madonna della Strada Chapel.


MUNDELEIN CENTER: Mundelein College opened its doors in 1930. Its landmark building is now the Munde- lein Center for the Fine and Performing Arts.


ca 1950s


LAKE MICHIGAN: Actors Kiefer Sutherland and Oliver Platt pose by what is now the walkway behind the Information Commons during filming for the 1990 movie Flatliners.


loyolaphoenix.com WINTER 2014 13


Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28  |  Page 29  |  Page 30  |  Page 31  |  Page 32  |  Page 33  |  Page 34  |  Page 35  |  Page 36  |  Page 37  |  Page 38  |  Page 39  |  Page 40  |  Page 41  |  Page 42  |  Page 43  |  Page 44  |  Page 45  |  Page 46  |  Page 47  |  Page 48