This page contains a Flash digital edition of a book.
Jake Herbert won a silver medal at the 2009 Worlds, one year after he took an Olympic redshirt. Tony Rotundo photo. Continued from page 12


Schultz tournament during my Olympic redshirt year.” A full-time freestyle focus enables U.S. wrestlers to gain ground on foreign competitors who compete solely in freestyle from the time they first step on the mat.


“Gaining a foreign feel and an international feel, you can’t get that by training and competing just in the U.S.,” Herbert said. “I spent 12 days in Belarus in 2009, and trained and competed over there. It’s a different style of training and wrestling. You wrestle on your feet 90 percent of the time, and work on par terre the other 10 percent. You can’t expose your back and roll around like you can in college. That type of training was great preparation for when I jumped into freestyle full-time after col- lege.”


Herbert won his first NCAA title in 2007. He said he immedi- ately noticed the gains he made when he returned to Northwestern for his senior season in the fall of 2008. “It was easy for me when I went back to college,” he said. “I went from wrestling the best guys in the world to wrestling col- lege guys. I had a better mindset and more of a killer instinct. My goal my senior year was to not give up a takedown, and I accomplished that.”


Among the other top collegiate stars who took Olympic red- shirts this past season were Oklahoma’s Andrew Howe,


“The Olympic redshirt was very beneficial – it was huge for me. That’s one of the main reasons I got to the finals of the World Championships in 2009.”


- Jake Herbert


Missouri’s Dom Bradley, Oklahoma State’s Tyler Caldwell, Wisconsin’s Tyler Graff, Boise State’s Jason Chamberlain and Central Michigan’s Jarod Trice.


Howe made noticeable gains during his Olympic redshirt year. He lost to eventual Olympic gold medalist Jordan Burroughs in the finals of the 2012 Olympic Team Trials. Howe pushed Burroughs, a 2011 World champion, in the first match of the best-of-3 finals at the Olympic Trials. Burroughs won the first match 4-2, 1-2, 1-0 before Howe was unable to go in the second match after being injured late in the first bout. “The Olympic redshirt was a great opportunity for me,” Howe Continued on page 14


13 USA Wrestler


Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28  |  Page 29  |  Page 30  |  Page 31  |  Page 32  |  Page 33  |  Page 34  |  Page 35  |  Page 36  |  Page 37  |  Page 38  |  Page 39  |  Page 40  |  Page 41  |  Page 42  |  Page 43  |  Page 44