Neptune's rear end, as advertised dated 1956

one moment think these would come out, but the rattling to get the nuts undone also rattled the bolts, and soon they were spinning and I had to use a spanner to retain them in order to remove the nuts. A gentle tap with a light hammer and the bolts were out.

I had managed to undo and remove the track rods before starting and these will play another day with new rubber gaiters, as will the axle ends, hubs and king pins. I was able to remove the fuel injection pump which doesn’t look too bad, and the clutch assembly, but as yet I have been unable to remove the cylinder head. I have been into the ‘bottom end’ and the crank is in good order

At the other end I split the gearbox from the back axle and removed both trumpets. On turning over the rear axle casting I found a complete automatic hitch with little used hook, so that was removed, blasted and prime.

My friend required the selectors out of the gearbox which were removed, so I am told, using an 18lb hammer as when he went to remove the drain bung the casting just crumbled so I

am awaiting the return of a box of aluminium scrap and a set of gears! A lift arm was removed from the nearside trumpet which is OK, as is the PTO shaft and cover.

All in all, I am pretty pleased and feel I have got my £205 worth of parts and much pleasure in doing the dismantling. All I need now is some way of preventing the wayward index finger from bidding!

I hope you have had a laugh at my expense!

Tractor Grandpa.

Photo to right: Parts after blasting and priming

Please mention THE VINTAGE SCENE when responding to advertisements MAY/JUNE 2020 9

Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28  |  Page 29  |  Page 30  |  Page 31  |  Page 32