search.noResults

search.searching

dataCollection.invalidEmail
note.createNoteMessage

search.noResults

search.searching

orderForm.title

orderForm.productCode
orderForm.description
orderForm.quantity
orderForm.itemPrice
orderForm.price
orderForm.totalPrice
orderForm.deliveryDetails.billingAddress
orderForm.deliveryDetails.deliveryAddress
orderForm.noItems
AAC


FEATURE COURTHOUSE


symmetrical and vertical Classical order seen on the front fa- çade is carried through. Burks also utilized linear devices in the form of projecting entry bays, secondary projecting stairwell bays, linear stone elements, and window surrounds. Other stone details on this bay include flanking Doric columns ris- ing to a heavy entablature that supports the surround of a Roman entry arch, a large fo- liated keystone, coping at the inverted arch of the bay’s para- pet, and slender stone decora- tive panels. An added vertical element on this elevation is a brickwork line of basket weave diamond shapes. While impressively appoint- ed, the interior spaces are not overwhelmed by busy details. After the active architecture of the exterior, it lends a degree of calm and dignity appropriate to the building’s use. Te central entrance foyer features heavy cross beams and an original light fixture. Classical details are exhibited in Roman arches, large multi-pane fanlights and pronounced cornice molding. Grey Italian marble wainscot- ing lines the hallways. Te polychrome cream and maroon floor tiles keep the grey of the walls from muting the presenta- tion. A light, wrought-iron balustrade at the north and south staircases comple- ments the delicate eighteen-light en- trance doors and multi-pane fanlights. Te courtroom is an open, brightly lit room featuring floor-to-ceiling arched windows. Light paneled walls are an ap- propriate contrast to the dark wood of the coffered judge’s bench and graceful turned spindle bar between the counsel area and gallery. Pronounced molding creates a Roman arch behind the judge’s bench. Centered in the arch is a small stained glass window with decorative molding that lights the fourth floor in- terior hallway. In a 1978 renovation, a 100-seat balcony was removed from the rear of the Circuit Courtroom. Te fourth floor is hidden behind a


he county has retained an interest in the historic integrity of this complex building, and in fact, County Judge Doug


T


Erwin has stated his main goal is the preser- vation of the courthouse.


FY1994 FY1995 FY1996


brick parapet at the roof level. At the time of the building’s construction this was touted as a method of preventing escape from the rooftop jail, as well as camouflage to hide the utilitarian struc-


32


FY1997 FY2003 FY2004 FY2006 FY2013 FY2014


Grand Total Continued From Page 31 <<<


ture. No longer used as such, the county received a $10,000 grant from the Department of Arkansas Heritage in 1994 to convert the jail for storage. Te Lonoke County jail as- sociated with the 1885 courthouse was a separate building, which was considered inconvenient. Te current courthouse incorporated the old jail cells within 9-inch reinforced con- crete walls on a 6-inch con- crete floor. Two original barred doors and solid steel doors re- main. A dumbwaiter to take food from the first floor to the jail is intact within a closet. Te historic Lonoke County


Courthouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on June 8, 1982. Fortu- nately, the county has retained an interest in the historic integ-


rity of this complex building, and in fact, County Judge Doug Erwin has stated that his main goal is the preservation of the courthouse. As with the 1885 structure, the county has out- grown the building and the possibility of moving the justice center closer to the Lonoke County Jail has been discussed. However, Judge Erwin stated he would like to see the county retain the 1928 Lonoke County Courthouse “forever.”


gram is the County Courthouse Restoration Grant Program. Created in 1989, this grant program has helped to extend the lives of courthouses that hold vital links to community pride and local history. Tese grants are funded through the Real Estate Transfer Tax, administered by the Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council. Since the beginning of the program, the AHPP has awarded $24 million to 74 historic courthouses and courthouse annexes around the state for use in rehabilitating, preserv- ing and protecting these important historic resources.


has received nine grants totaling $320,300 from the Department of Arkansas Heritage.


AHPP County Courthouse Restoration Grants awarded for Lonoke County Courthouse


Jail conversion Exterior cleaning and repair


Complete 1994 grant repairs; replace wrought-iron fence


Restoration of north, south and west doors Install chairlift


Install ADA components for courtroom, restrooms ADA components for restrooms Masonry repair Elevator


$10,000 $15,000


$5,000


$15,000 $40,000 $40,000 $9,000 $45,000 $141,300


$320,300 COUNTY LINES, SPRING 2019 Among the many programs and services of the Arkansas Historic Preservation Pro-


Since 1994, Lonoke County


Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28  |  Page 29  |  Page 30  |  Page 31  |  Page 32  |  Page 33  |  Page 34  |  Page 35  |  Page 36  |  Page 37  |  Page 38  |  Page 39  |  Page 40  |  Page 41  |  Page 42  |  Page 43  |  Page 44  |  Page 45  |  Page 46  |  Page 47  |  Page 48  |  Page 49  |  Page 50  |  Page 51  |  Page 52