INTERNATIONAL LAW LAWYER OF THE YEAR Carlos Espíndola-Scarpetta WINNER
FIRM PROFILE Espindola International Consultants is one of
Main Areas of Practice Colombia’s leading consulting Firms in
International Trade, established in 1979 as a versatile, flexible and competitive organization, covering a full range of legal and strategic consulting services in order to satisfy the demands of our locally and internationally world-class clients. We have prepared extensively in the past 34 years to guide Colombian, foreign companies, and businesses in the Inter American integration, particularly with the upcoming of the Free Trade Agreements between the United States and the Latin American communities, and the reality of the integration with China. We have offices in Cali and Bogotá, Colombia, and correspondents in the principal economic centers of the world.
Experts in the following Services: International Trade, International Commercial Law, Customs and Foreign Exchange Regulations, International Trade Agreements, Foreign Investment, Banking and Insurance Laws, Maritime and Aviation Laws, Corporate and International Commercial Law, Taxation, Business Law, International Sales of Goods, Distribution and Agency Contracts,
Franchises, Joint Ventures, Regulatory in Pharmaceutical, Cosmetics, Beverages and Food, Administrative Law, Dispute Resolutions, Audits in Customs and Trade Matters, Mergers and Acquisitions, Litigation in Customs and Foreign Trade matters, Exchange Control and International Trade Matters; Logistics and International Business Planning.
ABOUT CARLOS A. ESPINDOLA-SCARPETTA Academic • Ll.M., Master of Laws, Tulane University School of Law, New Orleans, Louisiana. U.S.A. 1.977.
• Doctor en Jurisprudencia, Colegio Mayor de Nuestra Señora del Rosario, Bogota, 1.976, T.P. 16.247 C.S.J.
• Idiomas: Español e inglés. Francés medio
Practice Areas International trade, contracting and international business, customs and international exchanges, community law, corporate, international transport, insurance and banking, foreign investment and logistics planning
Professional Experience • Director of Espindola International Consultants, May, 2001 to date.
• Partner of Baker & Mckenzie, Colombia, July 2000 - May 2001
• Consultants Ltd.a Espindola Director, 1980 - 2000
• Member of the Disciplinary Chamber of the Stock West, 1991-1992
• General Counsel and Secretary General of Phoenix Insurance Group, July 1977 - December 1979 ( now Royal & Sun Alliance)
• Counsel of Bank of America NT & SA, 1975 1976
• Trainee at Celanese Colombiana SA, 1972 1974
• Financial Consumer Advocate of WWB Bank and Fonseca Sanclemente Insurance Brokers, Cali.
• Honorable Associate Judge of the Administrative Apellate Court of the State of Valle.
Academic Experience • Professor of undergraduate and post graduate courses for international trade law, economic law, civil procedure special obligations, international transport, maritime and air transport, insurance, purchases and international business, international trade and business logistics integrated into universities as: Pontifical Universidad Javeriana in Cali, Universidad del Valle, Icesi University Pontificia Bolivariana University, University of San Buenaventura Cali, Cali Free University, Universidad del Norte, Barranquilla and Autonomous University of Manizales.
• Guest speaker of the Chamber of Commerce of Medellín, Manizales, and Barranquilla.
Publications • Co - Author of International Insurance Law and Regulations, Cambridge University Press Oceana Publications Inc, New York, 2010 .
• Co-author of “ The Andean legal system: legal Utopia or reality?”. Magazine Legal Criteria. Javeriana University, 2008.
• Author of “Legal Aspects of Maritime Charter Parties”. Universidad del Rosario, Bogotá DC 1975.
• Columnist COLAM Florida Bar Journal , USA
Affiliations • Chair of the International Trade Law and Business Comitee of the AmCham, Cali, Colombia.
• Member od the Colombian Institute of Customs and Trade Law
• Scholar and Fellow of the Center for International Legal Studies, Salzburg, Austria.
• Senior Fellow InterAmerican Bar Association, Washington DC
• International Bar Association. London.
• International Trade • International Commercial Law • Customs and Foreign Exchange Regulations
• International Trade Agreements • Foreign Investment • Banking and Insurance Laws • Maritime and Aviation Laws • Corporate and International Commercial Law
• Taxation • Business Law • International Sales of Goods • Distribution and Agency Contracts • Franchises • Joint Ventures, • Regulatory in Pharmaceutical • Cosmetics • Beverages and Food • Administrative Law • Dispute Resolutions • Audits in Customs and Trade Matters • Mergers and Acquisitions • Litigation in Customs and Foreign Trade matters
• Exchange Control and International Trade Matters
• Logistics and International Business Planning.
NOTABLE LEGAL WORK In Customs and Trade Law, Free Trade Zones,
WTO Expertise, Andean Group Litigation before the Andean Court of Justice in Quito, Expansion and birth of blue chip companies in the region.
CONTACT Espíndola International Consultants
Calle 21 Norte No. 5AN-45, Piso 6, Edificio Gualcalá Movil: +57- 311 635 8200 Tel: +57-2-488 03 78 Telefax: 668 88 95 Teléfono local USA: (305) 390-8233 Cali, Colombia
Latin Corporate Legal Awards 2013 29
| Page 2
| Page 3
| Page 4
| Page 5
| Page 6
| Page 7
| Page 8
| Page 9
| Page 10
| Page 11
| Page 12
| Page 13
| Page 14
| Page 15
| Page 16
| Page 17
| Page 18
| Page 19
| Page 20
| Page 21
| Page 22
| Page 23
| Page 24
| Page 25
| Page 26
| Page 27
| Page 28
| Page 29
| Page 30
| Page 31
| Page 32
| Page 33
| Page 34
| Page 35
| Page 36
| Page 37
| Page 38
| Page 39
| Page 40
| Page 41
| Page 42