John Lewis Partnership plc annual report and accounts 2012
Business review Resources and relationships
Our key aim is to be a better and successful way of doing business, by putting the happiness of Partners at the heart of what we do and genuinely increasing their advantage. It is the embodiment of an ideal, the outcome of nearly a century of endeavour to create a different and better sort of company, owned in trust for our Partners and dedicated to serving customers with honesty, flair and fairness.
Because the Partnership is owned in trust for members, they also have and share the responsibilities of ownership as well as its rewards – profit, knowledge and power.
Excellent customer service is key to our success
Our three Partner Commitments set out below help us to bring Principle 1 of our Constitution to life through responsibility, relationships and influence:
• Take responsibility for our business success –We take responsibility to deliver the right experience for all of our customers and generate profits for us all to share.
• Build relationships powered by our principles –We build relationships based on honesty, respect and encouragement. We expect these behaviours of each other and demonstrate them at all times.
• Create real influence over our working lives –We take every opportunity to develop ourselves, balance work and life priorities and support each other.
Our Partners will tell you that the John Lewis Partnership feels like a very special place to work. We believe our distinctive culture – our spirit – lies at the heart of this feeling. As a Partnership, we are a democracy – open, fair and transparent, and there is a true sense of belonging to something so unique and highly regarded. Our profits are shared, our Partners have a voice and there is a true sense of pride. The Commitments underpin the relationships we have with customers, the communities we trade in and our suppliers.
We also create and nurture a culture of inclusivity by valuing the differences of those who are engaged in the Partnership, whether as Partners, customers, suppliers or as part of the wider community. Embracing inclusion and diversity shows that we are open to all who want to work, shop and trade with us. From an employment perspective it helps us to attract, retain and develop Partners while developing a creative and innovative culture and being open to new suggestions and ideas. Diversity in the Partnership is based on three values:
• Partners are treated as individuals and with respect, honesty and fairness.
• Our employment policies are fair and provide equal opportunities for all, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, social background, religion, disability or sexuality.
• We respect and reflect the communities within which we trade.
The Partnership wants to provide meaningful work and careers for Partners, where they can fulfil their potential by taking on new challenges and opportunities. To achieve this the Partnership:
• Aims to promote existing Partners with the right skills and capabilities rather than recruiting externally.
• Helps Partners to learn as much as they can about the Partnership and our activities.
• Provides knowledge and training to help Partners carry out their responsibilities better.
• Encourages and supports Partners in general education and interests in fields that are not directly work related.