2 Krasnyi Lyman 2 Sloviansk
Priorities for improving the quality of natural water in Donetsk Oblast: 1. Decrease surface water pollution in the region due to sulphates and sewage.
2. Improve the ecological state of the rivers Kalmius, Kazennyi Torets and Kalchyk; apply strict measures to control waste water discharge into the river system by industrial enterprises.
3. Control mine water discharge into the rivers Kazennyi Torets, Vovchia and Kalmius.
4. Reactivate hydrochemical moni- toring sites closed in 1995–2000 on the region’s rivers.
5. Deploy administrative measures to reduce discharge of polluted waste waters by the region’s industrial en- terprises.
6. Decrease municipal and agricul- tural run-off into water bodies.
7. Develop an automated system and network for monitoring the region’s surface and ground water bodies of the region.
Map produced for ENVSEC by ZOÏ Environment Network, September 2010 Source: The Land of our Concern, Ministery of Environmental Protection of Ukraine, Donetsk 2010
13 1 2 Mariupol Novoazovsk Seagull, plover, duck, tern, stilt, dove, gannet 1 2 Kramatorsk 1 1 6 Dobropillia 1
Krasnoarmiisk Dymytrov 4
Avdiivka 5 6 Vel. Novosilka Dokuchaievsk 1 Volnovakha 4 Kuakhove Marinka Amvrosiivka
Horlivka 4 Yasynuvata Makiivka Donetsk Druzhkivka 1 Artemivsk
1 Zhdanivka Khartsyzk
1 2 3
2 3 Siversk
Flora and Fauna in Donetsk Oblast Settlement area
Cultivated lands on the place of herb-rich feather- grass steppe
Cultivated lands in the place of herb-grass steppe
Cultivated lands in the place of herb-grass and stony steppe
Pine forest and broad-leaved pine forests on river terraces and cultivated land in their place
Floodplain meadows and cultivated land in their place
Sandbar vegeatation with meadow and saltwort communities
Places of release for acclimatizing animals Roe-deer
Elk Beaver Location for rare animals
4 5 6 7 8
Steppe polecat White stork Sparrow hawk Steppe viper Long-eared owl
S i a
v h .
c D o