match up to read the lanes correctly.&#x201D;
2. THE RIGHT SWING Bowlers can keep their swing straight by al- lowing the weight of the ball to swing their arm. You never want to feel like you are swing- ing the ball. Pushing the ball away and al- lowing the ball to swing your arm is the key. &#x201C;It&#x2019;s a good idea to
have someone stand behind you to moni- tor where your ball swings,&#x201D; says Team USA star Diandra As- baty. &#x201C;A lot of times, it&#x2019;s hard to feel if your ball is behind your back. A good drill to make sure that you have a loose swing and that it&#x2019;s swinging straight is during the practice swing. In your stance, with your feet station- ary, allow your ball to swing down from the push away and swing on its own.&#x201D;
top amateurs keep their arm swing in what is known as the pro groove. USBC Coaching
teaches bowlers to keep the swing in line with the shoulder joint of your bowling arm, varying left or right by at most only four
inches. Top players will con-
sistently keep the ball in the groove. They may tuck their arm swing in slightly when com- ing forward from their backswing. This allows them to have stron- ger leverage and hand position at the point of release.
STAY LOOSE AND FLUID Don&#x2019;t &#x2018;THROW&#x2019;
TEAM USA star Wes Malott is one of the most successful pros on the PBA Tour &#x2014; in fact, he&#x2019;ll be competing at the PBA World Championship Jan. 14-16 live on ESPN and ESPN2. He also owns several pro shops and sees how hundreds of league bowlers approach their game every day. &#x201C;I see at least 70 percent of league
bowlers out on the lanes &#x2018;throw&#x2019; their ball instead of swinging from a pendulum with a loose armswing,&#x201D; he says. &#x201C;As soon as you start to muscle your shot, you won&#x2019;t be able to repeat good shots consistently.&#x201D; He says that relates to all five points of successful bowling:
LIFESTYLE AND BOWLING TECHNIQUES TO MAKE YOU A BETTER BOWLER
3. IT&#x2019;S ALL ABOUT BALANCE Balance can be tricky in bowling because you&#x2019;ve got a heavy ball weighing down one side of your body on every shot. The best bowlers learn early how to com- pensate for that. &#x201C;Balance has a lot to
1. WHEN IT COMES to your style, power will come from a fluid delivery. Never from forcing a throw.
2. MUSCLING the ball will throw you off balance.
3. IF YOUR EQUIPMENT isn&#x2019;t right, you might try to compensate with too much power.
4. YOU&#x2019;LL TEND to grip the ball more when you muscle it.
5. USING TOO MUCH muscle will pull your swing off line and make it difficult to be consistent. In addition, using muscle causes your swing to feel restricted, which actually slows it down.
do with how you hold and swing your ball,&#x201D; says Malott. &#x201C;Keep it in the groove through your entire shot and everything will be smooth and feel good.&#x201D; Keep your knees
slightly flexed in your stance and your upper body slightly forward. If you can maintain that athletic posture and avoid moving your torso forward or back during your approach, you&#x2019;ll likely hold your balance through your entire shot. If you use too much force, you&#x2019;re likely to fall off balance and your swing will pull away from your body.
11 USBOWLER JANUARY 2011
| Page 2
| Page 3
| Page 4
| Page 5
| Page 6
| Page 7
| Page 8
| Page 9
| Page 10
| Page 11
| Page 12
| Page 13
| Page 14
| Page 15
| Page 16
| Page 17
| Page 18
| Page 19
| Page 20
| Page 21