Studying English is a big commitment for students. Each person has a different goal (work, further education or pleasure) but the aim for everyone is to improve their knowledge and ability to use the English language.
We test our students on arrival and place them in a class which will be the best for their English language development across all key areas (speaking, listening, reading, writing, grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation).
Whatever your current level of language ability, we can provide you with the right course to meet your needs.
Guide to levels
Each level works towards CEF (Common European Framework) descriptors.
Beginner • Can communicate very basic needs and understand very simple conversational language • Has a limited vocabulary for everyday situations • Can read and produce short, simple pieces of writing
• Can communicate basic needs and speak about personal topics • Has sufficient vocabulary for everyday routines • Can recognise main grammatical structures • Can write short personal texts and notes
• Can communicate in everyday situations and hold short conversations
• Can use main grammatical structures • Can write texts which include details
• Can communicate with some confidence in a reasonable number of situations • Has good control of main grammatical structures • Can write longer texts using paragraphs with reasonable accuracy
• Can communicate effectively and express ideas/opinions in most situations
• Can discuss a range of topical issues • Can use a wide range of structures, with reasonable accuracy
• Can produce a range of written texts using the correct register
• Can express feelings, opinions and ideas accurately and precisely using a wide range of vocabulary
• Can produce the full range of texts with unnoticeable, natural cohesion
• Can understand authentic texts with little difficulty • Has a very good degree of grammatical control