MANAGING YOUR PTA – Licensing guide

members of the public, and on the society premises, this falls under the terms of a ‘private society lottery’, and no additional licence is required. However, it’s worth noting that a private society lottery cannot be advertised outside the society premises, which includes sending flyers home in book bags. Where can I find out more and how do I apply? Visit the Gambling Commission (gamblingcommission. for more information, or consult your local authority, where you can also register for a licence.

Music licence You’ll need it if: Music is being played at your event What is it? Prior to February 2018, organisations had to obtain separate music licences from two societies: PPL and PRS for Music. They have now come together to launch TheMusicLicence, which is a single licence that allows you to play or perform music in public. When do I need it? If you play music in public, including radio or TV, or at live events, this is considered a ‘public performance’, and you need to get permission from the copyright holder to ‘perform’ music in public. TheMusicLicence grants you this permission and can be issued for the year or for an individual event. The cost of TheMusicLicence will be calculated as either a percentage of takings or a charge based on either the capacity of the area or attendance. There are different tariffs, which

vary according to the different types of music use. For example, a three- hour DJ set attended by 150 people currently costs £17.81 (+ VAT) under the Specially Featured Entertainment tariff. All schools should have a CEFM licence for curricular activities, but check what licences your school has in place, as they may already be covered for music outside of the standard curriculum. What else do I need to know? If you play music outside of PRS PPL Ltd’s control, you may need an additional licence from the copyright owner(s). Where can I find out more and how do I apply? For more information, licence quotes and to purchase licences, visit

Film licence You’ll need it if: You’re screening a film for entertainment purposes, whether it’s charged for or free of charge. What is it? A film licence allows you to show a film to an audience at your event. It is a legal requirement to obtain permission from the copyright owners to show films outside the home or the cinema. When do I need it? There are two film licences relevant to PTA fundraisers. An STSL (Single Title Screening Licence) provides cover for one-off events and starts from £83+VAT. Alternatively, you can purchase an annual licence (usually around £80) which allows you to screen films all year round, provided you don’t charge a fee. In this case, you cannot make direct income from the film itself, but it’s still possible to make a profit – by charging a set fee for drinks and snacks, for example. What else do I need to know? Many PTAs believe their school’s film licence covers their events, but the


The event organiser should apply for the

required licences, meaning if it’s a PTA event then someone from the PTA needs to apply rather than the school.

PVSL (Public Video Screening Licence) covers screenings in ad hoc scenarios, e.g. wet weather breaks, to its school staff and students only. Where can I find out more and how do I

apply? Get more details and apply for a licence at or themplc. Each company represents specific films and film studios, so if you’re looking for a particular film, make sure it’s listed on their website before purchasing a licence.

PTA+ online

Legislation can alter widely depending on the type of event, activities involved and number of people attending. Always check with your local authority to confirm how any legislation might apply to your event. This is a brief overview of the different types of licences PTAs may require – be sure to visit the listed websites to find out more, and for further guidance from PTA+.

Best practice

Not everything relating to your PTA events has specific licensing laws you need to adhere to, but there are still things you can do to ensure you carry out best practice. CATERING: Unless the food handling operation is a regular organised event, you don’t need a food hygiene certificate, but any event requires all food to be served safely. The FSA advice for preparing food safely in the home is based around the ‘Four Cs’ – cooking, chilling, cleaning and cross-

contamination. l Find out more at nhs. uk/livewell/homehygiene and

FIRST AID: Event organisers have a duty of care to everybody attending, but do not have to provide medical cover. They are, however, legally bound to this duty of care and to keep people safe. A ‘needs assessment’ should be carried out before any event goes ahead to decide whether a first aider is needed. If external support is required, organisations such as the British Red

Cross can help. l Find out more at PET SHOW: If running a pet show, there is a responsibility from both the owners and the

school to meet the welfare needs of all animals attending. Although the owner always has legal responsibility for their animal, everyone involved must ensure that animals are well cared for during their visit. This includes the provision of suitable accommodation, food, water and not forcing animals to do anything they don’t want to do. All animals should be in good health and be up to date with any vaccinations/parasite treatment before they

come into the school. l For more details, visit SUMMER 2019 21


Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28  |  Page 29  |  Page 30  |  Page 31  |  Page 32  |  Page 33  |  Page 34  |  Page 35  |  Page 36  |  Page 37  |  Page 38  |  Page 39  |  Page 40  |  Page 41  |  Page 42  |  Page 43  |  Page 44  |  Page 45  |  Page 46  |  Page 47  |  Page 48  |  Page 49  |  Page 50  |  Page 51  |  Page 52  |  Page 53  |  Page 54  |  Page 55  |  Page 56  |  Page 57  |  Page 58  |  Page 59  |  Page 60