LICENCES: all you need to know

Keen to do things properly and avoid getting caught out? We cut through the red tape...


here’s a lot to think about when running events, and

ensuring you have the correct licences in place can seem overwhelming. Here are details of some common licences and the circumstances in which you’ll need them...


Visit council to find your local council.

consumption at your event that can hold up to 499 people. This means a TEN would suffice, but always check that this is acceptable with your local authority.

Where can I find out more and how do I apply? Find out more via your local

Temporary Event Notice You’ll need it if: You’re supplying alcohol at your event What is it? A TEN is a licence supplied by your local authority that covers the supply of alcohol. It costs £21 and applies to events attracting fewer than 500 people. When do I need it? A TEN is required for the supply of alcohol, including sale by retail and ‘proxy’ sales, which covers drinks included in the ticket price and donations for alcohol. This includes pre-paying for a ticket then getting a ‘free’ alcoholic drink as part of the ticket price. This means a TEN

will be required for events including: l A disco with a bar l A wine-tasting evening l A festival where alcohol is sold

through donations l A quiz where a glass of wine is

included in the ticket price. What else do I need to know? If you have more than 500 people at your event, a Premises Licence will cover you for events of up to 5,000 people and can be applied for through your local authority. You can circumnavigate this legislation by roping off an area for alcohol

20 SUMMER 2019

authority and the government website ( notice). If you are in England and Wales you can apply for a TEN online. Allow ten working days for applications to process.

Lottery licence You’ll need it if: You’re running a raffle where tickets are sold to the public, in advance. What is it? A lottery licence allows you to sell raffle tickets prior to the event in a ‘small society lottery’. When do I need it? If you’re planning to sell tickets prior to the event, off the society premises (ie not on school grounds) you will require a licence as this is a ‘small society lottery’. To acquire a small society lottery licence, you will need to pay a small fee and comply with a range of regulatory requirements. What else do I need to know? If you’re running a raffle where tickets are sold on the day of the event, rather than in advance, this is called an ‘incidental lottery’, and no licence is required. Similarly, if tickets are sold in advance but only to society members or their guests rather than

Get ready for your


Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28  |  Page 29  |  Page 30  |  Page 31  |  Page 32  |  Page 33  |  Page 34  |  Page 35  |  Page 36  |  Page 37  |  Page 38  |  Page 39  |  Page 40  |  Page 41  |  Page 42  |  Page 43  |  Page 44  |  Page 45  |  Page 46  |  Page 47  |  Page 48  |  Page 49  |  Page 50  |  Page 51  |  Page 52  |  Page 53  |  Page 54  |  Page 55  |  Page 56  |  Page 57  |  Page 58  |  Page 59  |  Page 60