search.noResults

search.searching

dataCollection.invalidEmail
note.createNoteMessage

search.noResults

search.searching

orderForm.title

orderForm.productCode
orderForm.description
orderForm.quantity
orderForm.itemPrice
orderForm.price
orderForm.totalPrice
orderForm.deliveryDetails.billingAddress
orderForm.deliveryDetails.deliveryAddress
orderForm.noItems
Concordia Celebrates 90 Years


A legacy of care: Concordia celebrates 90 years


On October 28, 2018, the Concordia family and community will hold a 90th Anniversary Reunion and Celebra- tion. Tis Sunday aſternoon program will be held at the Canadian Mennonite University with a program of music, food, dedication and show of appreciation for the people who have made this possible today. A Purposeful Vision


It was 1927 on a cold New Year’s Eve in Winnipeg. A


small group of former students of the Halbstadt Commercial School in Russia (now Ukraine) met for a social reunion. The upheavals of the previous decade in the former Soviet Union had brought people to Canada to find a better life. This group of new arrivals organized themselves as the Con- cordia Society and discussed the possibility of sponsoring a community project. The ethos of the Mennonite people has always been community service, sharing, collaboration and giving back. Once in Canada, this continued. A Maternity Hospital


Jakob Kroeker, who served as an orderly in the Bethania


Institute at Alt-Kronsweide in Russia, suggested that they establish a maternity hospital in Winnipeg. Within two months of establishing their purpose and vision, the group had successfully raised $1,000—enough to take concrete steps to acquire a facility and hire people to run the mater- nity home. Sara and Tina Koop became the first staff at the new location: 291 Machray, in West Kildonan. By the end of the year, over 28 babies were born in the first Concordia. In 1931, the hospital incorporated and undertook expan-


sions to care for medical and surgical patients. Later that year, the site at 720 Beverly Street was officially dedicated. Te current hospital on Concordia Avenue was built in


1974. Te growth that followed has continued to the present day and has been steady and strategic as it adapts to the needs of the community.


A Firm Foundation


Fast forward to 1984, when the “Concordia Hospital Foun- dation” was formed to raise funds to support the hospital.


Concordia nursing staff and other staff in May 1931.


One of the first major donations came from Thomas Sill, who later went on to form a charitable foundation in Winnipeg, The Thomas Sill Foundation. The hospital foundation raised funds for cutting-edge equipment, including a CT scanner. Other major contributors made it possible for Concordia to expand its facilities in new directions, including community


members, Martin Bergen, the DeFehr Foundation, the Win- nipeg Foundation, and the many volunteers and auxiliary members who tirelessly raised funds. A Centre of Excellence


During the 90s, the concept of “centre of excellence” took


root, and Concordia began the process in 1993 of establish- ing a centre of excellence in orthopaedics headed by Dr. Helmut Hubert. In 1994, the year it opened, the Concordia Hip and Knee program performed 200 hip replacements. To- day, our skilled surgeons perform approximately 1,500 joint replacements per year. In 2001, the program expanded to include a teaching component. In 2002, Concordia became the first community hospital in Canada to have a Surgical Accredited Teaching program. Serving the Next 90 Years, and Beyond


Te vision of Concordia Hospital’s original founding


group in 1927 abides today. Te Concordia campus serves a wide spectrum of community members—from the children in our Concordia Child Care Centre, to seniors living at Concordia Place and the residential services of the Con- cordia Villages. Many aspects of our vision have remained constant these


past 90 years. Service and healing remain, and will forever remain, at the heart of what we do. So will adaptability, as we remain committed to meeting the changing needs of you and the community in the decades ahead. Tanks to Abe J. Dueck, the author of Concordia Hospi-


tal: Faith, Health and Community (2003) for his historical retrospective. For a copy of this book, please contact the Concordia Foundation at info@concordiafoundation.ca for a free copy.


FOUNDATION


Serving Our Community


You are a key player in the future and quality of healthcare for our region. Your donation to the Concordia Foundation supports research and patient care at Concordia Hospital, and enhances our cutting-edge research in joint replacement. Every donation makes a difference.


DONATE NOW! Call 204.661.7156 or donate online at WWW.CONCORDIAFOUNDATION.COM


Autumn 2018


concordiafoundation.ca


The Concordia Way 9


1928 Concordia Society founded as a maternity hospital in a private home on Machray Avenue


1930-31 Hospital renamed Mennonite Concordia Hospital, granted official provincial incorporation


1933 Hospital purchases Elmwood Sanitorium


1953, 1958 Hospital expands


1964 Hospital purchases land at current location


1974 Hospital relocates and opens with 124 beds


1985 Hospital expands emergency department


2000 Concordia Place personal care home opens with 140 beds


2004 Concordia Wellness Projects Inc. founded


2005 Hospital establishes hip and knee replacement program 2006 Concordia Village I opens


2008 Hospital emergency department undergoes major renovation, Concordia Village II opens, Concordia Hip & Knee Institute opens


2010 Concordia Village III opens


2013 Concordia Community Clinic opens


2016 Concordia Village Centre expansion 2017 Comfort Care Rooms open 2018 90 th


Anniversary


Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16