70 Sport

Cardiff Met Narberth

24 27

WRU Championship NARBERTH sealed a double

over Cardiff Met last Saturday (Jan 7) as they narrowly won by just three points. Narberth drew first blood when

Nick Gale put the Otters ahead with a penalty, but an unconverted try from the Students’ Craig Lewis put them ahead. The lead soon switched back

in favour of the Otters when Jack Price made his way over for an excellent try, which was then converted by Gale for a 10-5 lead. That was how the score would

stay until half time but the Students came out well in the second half and were soon rewarded with a try from Luke Northmore, and George Simpson added the extra two points. Narberth came back once more

Mike Georgiou: Crossing over for St Clears’ third try

Pembroke Dock Quins 8 St Clears


League 3 West A ST CLEARS moved top of

the table with a bonus point win over Pembroke Dock Quins last Saturday (Jan 7). The Quins took an early lead but

it was the Saints who hit back in the second half to take a 26-8 victory. Quins’ Ben Hathaway put his

side ahead early on with a penalty and moments later they had their first try as Sam James intercepted the ball before running on to score. St Clears responded with a try

of their own when Jonathan Gosling went over in the corner but the conversion was wide and the Quins held a slender 8-5 lead.

The Quins also had chances to

score when they kicked to touch on two occasions but St Clears were able to steal both line-outs to keep the Quins out. The home side held an 8-5 lead

at the break and had hopes of sealing a third straight win but those hopes took a dent early in the second half. The Quins looked to clear the ball

from a line-out but the Saints were quick to close down the kick and the ball was played to Mike Georgiou, who powered his way through for the try. The conversion was missed but the Saints were now ahead. The Saints were then awarded a

penalty in front of the posts, which Geraint Jones scored to increase the Saints’ lead. Jones then landed a second penalty as the Saints continued to

   


 

dominate for large parts of the second half.

A shoulder tackle then gave the

Saints a penalty and the move started on the right before Gosling received the ball before running over in the left hand corner for their third try of the match. The conversion was again short of the posts. The Quins looked to hit back and

came close with a number of runs into the Saint’s half but they were guilty of giving the ball away and allowing the Saints to clear. Shane Morgan sealed the win late

on with St Clears’ fourth try, giving them a bonus point and a double over the Quins. This Saturday (Jan 14), St Clears

will take on bottom side St Davids while the Quins will look to bounce back when they travel to Neyland.

with Rhys Lane crossing over and Gale converting for a 17-12 lead. Tom Benjamin then hauled the


Follow us on Twitter @pembsherald

Saints hit back to sink Quins Otters outrun students

Students back level again with another try, which was converted by Simpson for a 19-17 lead. Narberth didn’t hang around

though and edged back ahead again when Jonathan Rogers scored a penalty, before Oli Reyland went over for a try and Rogers added the extra two points with an excellent conversion. That gave the visitors a 27-19

lead but the Students just would not give up and they were rewarded for their spirit and tenacity when Oliver Glasse went over the line for a great try but the conversion attempt was missed. Try as they might, they could

not find another score and Narberth held on for an excellent, nail-biting victory, which is their 12th of the season. Narberth’s hard fought victory

means that they remain third in the league and they will definitely be looking for another win when they take on an inconsistent Glamorgan Wanderers side who sit fourth from bottom in the table this Saturday (Jan 14).

Blues undone by Mumbles Mumbles


43 0

League 2 West HAV E R FOR D W E S T

succumbed to another heavy defeat last Saturday (Jan 7), as they were well beaten by a strong Mumbles side.

Mumbles ran in three first half

tries, the first of which came from Adam Nicklin and he then added the extra two points. George Jawad then scored

Mumble’s second try of the game and Nicklin once more added the extras.

The third try came from Joe Rimell

and Nicklin was again on hand to send the conversion through the posts for a 21-0 half time lead. The Blues did have chances but

were unable to break through and Mumbles added to their tally in the second half. Rimell and Jawad both scored

their second tries of the afternoon, while other tries came from Andrew Evans and Tom Powell, with one further conversion from Nicklin. Things do not get any easier for

the Blues as they face second placed Pontarddulais in their next game on Saturday, January 21.

Shousha s 20ecures Seagulls’ double Fishguard

Tenby United 18

League 2 West FISHGUARD completed the

double over league leaders Tenby last Saturday (Jan 7) as they won a thrilling game by 20 points to 18.

Tenby United remain top of the

league after picking up a losing bonus point while nearest rivals Pontarddulais lost at home to Tycroes. Fishguard’s win sees them begin

to move away from the bottom two and they will be looking to build on their impressive win for the rest of the season. It was Tenby who grabbed the

initiative early on as Greg Lees- Griffiths touched the ball down, but the conversion attempt was

missed. Toby Smith then added a

penalty for the Seasiders before Will Crockford scored Tenby’s second try, which was then converted by Toby Smith. That gave Tenby a well-earnt

15-0 lead but Fishguard picked themselves up as they looked to get back in the game. Fishguard began to put pressure

on Tenby and were soon rewarded with two penalties, both of which were scored by Nico Setaro, playing on permit from Whitland. The Seagulls started the second

half well and saw Rob McVeigh cross over the line, with Setaro again landing the conversion. However, Tenby hit back and

were given a penalty, which Smith sent through the posts to give the Seasiders an 18-13 lead.

The Seagulls were determined

to show that their victory over Tenby was definitely not a fluke and they pushed for a winning score. They were repeatedly held out

by Tenby but their resistance was finally broken when Chris Shousha powered his way over the line to level the scores. Setaro then had the task of

adding the extras, which he did to give the Seagulls a two point lead. Fishguard held on for an

excellent victory over their Pembrokeshire neighbours, which will give them a much needed boost in confidence for the rest of the season. Both sides are not in action

now until January 21, when Tenby are at home to Mumbles while Fishguard are away to Tumble.

Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28  |  Page 29  |  Page 30  |  Page 31  |  Page 32  |  Page 33  |  Page 34  |  Page 35  |  Page 36  |  Page 37  |  Page 38  |  Page 39  |  Page 40  |  Page 41  |  Page 42  |  Page 43  |  Page 44  |  Page 45  |  Page 46  |  Page 47  |  Page 48  |  Page 49  |  Page 50  |  Page 51  |  Page 52  |  Page 53  |  Page 54  |  Page 55  |  Page 56  |  Page 57  |  Page 58  |  Page 59  |  Page 60  |  Page 61  |  Page 62  |  Page 63  |  Page 64  |  Page 65  |  Page 66  |  Page 67  |  Page 68  |  Page 69  |  Page 70  |  Page 71  |  Page 72