Call for Research Symposium Participants Michigan Music Educators Association
MMEA Second Annual Research Symposium 11-2 PM - Thursday, Jan. 19, 2012 • AmWay Grand Hotel: Haldane Room
The MMEA is pleased to announce the Second Annual Research Symposium to be held as a pre-conference event in conjunction with the Michigan Music Conference (January 19-21). This symposium is designed as a forum for the dissemination and discussion of new scholarship relating to music teaching and learning. Individuals are invited to submit proposals for presentation in which they may share new, unpublished research in music education. Submissions are invited for paper presentation, poster presentation or BOTH. Works in progress will be eligible “for discussion only” at the Open Roundtable session. Interested individuals are invited to attend the Symposium whether or not they present. Please direct inquiries about the Symposium to Terese M. Volk Tuohey, Symposium Chair, at ag7658@wayne. edu.
Those who wish to submit a report for consideration should comply with the following:
FOR PAPER PRESENTATION Research submitted for paper presentation must not have been presented at any other conference or forum, regardless of size or type of audience. The paper may have been submitted for publication, but must not have appeared in print prior to the Symposium.
Research that is simply a review of literature will NOT be considered for presentation.
FOR POSTER PRESENTATION Research submitted for poster presentation may have been submitted for publication but must not have appeared in print prior to the Symposium. Papers presented at other conferences will be considered for poster presentation if the audience was substantially different. A statement specifying particulars of presentation must be included with the submission.
A review of literature WILL be considered for poster presentation.
FOR ROUNDTABLE DISCUSSIONS Research must be in progress. Topics may include reviews of literature. Participants must request to take part in the roundtable, and submit a copy of the research proposal.
FOR ALL PRESENTATIONS
1. The research may be of any type as long as it relates to music education. Manuscript style of articles representing descriptive or experimental studies must conform to the most recent edition of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association. Authors of other types of studies may submit manuscripts that conform to the most recent editions of either A Manual for Writers of Term Papers, Theses, and Dissertations (Turabian) or The Chicago Manual of Style.
2. Only electronic submissions will be considered. For PAPER PRESENTATION, submit one file containing the full copy of your report; for POSTER SUBMISSION, submit one file containing an abstract not to exceed 500 words. If you wish to submit for either presentation or poster, submit two files: one containing the full copy of your report, the other containing an abstract not to exceed 500 words. For all files, indicate only the title on each. No files should contain clues as to author identity or institutional affiliation. For ROUNDTABLE DISCUSSION, send only one copy of the research proposal.
In the body of the e-mail, please include the following information: (a) the author’s or authors’ names, (b) current position(s) and institutional affiliation(s), (c) mailing address, telephone number, and e-mail address (submitter only), (d) the report’s title, (e) and any specifications of prior presentation. Specify whether you want your submission to be considered for PRESENTATION ONLY, POSTER SESSION ONLY, EITHER PRESENTATION OR POSTER SESSION, or ROUNDTABLE DISCUSSION. The full report with abstract should not exceed 6000 words in length. Send the file as an attachment in Word Document (.doc) or Portable Document (.pdf) format.
3. Correspondence will be sent only to the submitter, and only by e-mail. The submitter should send the manuscript from the e-mail address he or she wishes to use for correspondence. You will be notified of receipt of the manuscript and the reviewers’ decision exclusively by e-mail.
4. Send submissions to Terese Volk Tuohey at email@example.com
. Subject line: MMC Research Symposium. Please use this e-mail address for all correspondence. Hard-copy submissions will not be accepted.
5. The submission deadline is November 11, 2011. Extensions will not be granted. If you have not received confirmation of your manuscript by November 14, please notify Terese Volk Tuohey at the above e-mail address.
6. A panel of qualified reviewers will screen all submissions.
7. Submitters will be notified of the reviewers’ decision no later than November 22, 2010.
8. All presenters and attendees must be members of MENC/MMEA or one of the MMC sponsoring organizations, and must register for the entire conference, indicating attendance at the Pre-conference Symposium on the registration form. Information about registration can be found at www. michiganmusicconference.org
9. All participants are expected to attend all Symposium sessions on January 19 and the “meet the authors” session on Jan. 20. An informal (cash bar) reception will be held the evening of Thursday, January 19, at the Amway Grand Hotel.
A copy of this call, and the Symposium sessions, can be viewed on the MMEA webpage, http://www.mm
eamichigan. org/research. n
| Page 2
| Page 3
| Page 4
| Page 5
| Page 6
| Page 7
| Page 8
| Page 9
| Page 10
| Page 11
| Page 12
| Page 13
| Page 14
| Page 15
| Page 16
| Page 17
| Page 18
| Page 19
| Page 20
| Page 21
| Page 22
| Page 23
| Page 24