This page contains a Flash digital edition of a book.
INDUSTRY NEWS


INDUSTRY NEWS


Former Kurdziel Plant, Carlton Creek Ironworks, Sold Again


Carlton Creek Ironworks Inc., Muskegon, Mich., has been sold to Rothbury Steel LLC and will be reconfigured to produce commercial steel castings, according to the com- pany that brokered the deal. Te plant was purchased by Monomoy Capital Partners


LP, New York, from Kurdziel Industries Inc. in July 2008 for an undisclosed amount. Now, a deal has been brokered by FL Sales Inc., Solon, Ohio, to change the ownership again. According to Kaleigh LoPresti, FL Sales’ controller, the


sale included the land and buildings and some of the ma- chinery and equipment at the facility. “The new owners will be removing the cupola and


holding furnace and installing induction melting equip- ment to produce commercial steel castings,” LoPresti said in an email. When it purchased the facility in 2008, Monomoy


merged it into its Compass Automotive Group, which included two other metalcasting facilities. Prior to the purchase, the plant manufactured commercial castings and counterweights for a variety of industries. Its customers included John Deere, Haas, Komatsu and Genie.


AFW Foundry Launches Sand Reuse Project


(continued from page 9)


AFW’s vice president of business development. “We saw a strong opportunity to do the right thing for the environ- ment and make some cost-effective improvements for our business.” Before the sand reclamation project, AFW was land-


filling 6,500 tons of sand per year. In the first year of the program, the facility now re-uses 70% of the reclaimed sand for production and diverts the remaining 30% (about 1,920 tons) of that material to projects like roadbed and embankment construction. AFW pours nonferrous sand castings for a range of


commercial applications. In recent years, AFW has seen an increase in its nobake business and has leveraged technology to improve efficiencies. Trough re-engineering of the facil- ity, the company invested in a sand reclamation system, but 30% of the reclaimed sand still was destined for a landfill. Trough PSI, launched by the Wisconsin Manufacturing


Extension Partnership and Wisconsin Department of Com- merce, AFW was able to perform sampling and analysis of the waste sand. It then applied for and received a Category 2 classification from the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources. Te designation allows the diverted sand to be certified for beneficial re-use in approved areas. “Te PSI team guided us through a very complex process to find out what things we could start taking action on today,” Dvornik said.


14 | MODERN CASTING August 2011


Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28  |  Page 29  |  Page 30  |  Page 31  |  Page 32  |  Page 33  |  Page 34  |  Page 35  |  Page 36  |  Page 37  |  Page 38  |  Page 39  |  Page 40  |  Page 41  |  Page 42  |  Page 43  |  Page 44  |  Page 45  |  Page 46  |  Page 47  |  Page 48  |  Page 49  |  Page 50  |  Page 51  |  Page 52  |  Page 53  |  Page 54  |  Page 55  |  Page 56  |  Page 57  |  Page 58  |  Page 59  |  Page 60  |  Page 61  |  Page 62  |  Page 63  |  Page 64  |  Page 65  |  Page 66  |  Page 67  |  Page 68