This page contains a Flash digital edition of a book.

Like us on Facebook

THE SECOND round draw

for the Dai Davies Cup was made this week and has thrown up some interesting ties. Reigning champions Cardigan

must play Dolgellau Reserves in their first round match on Saturday (Oct 1), with the winners of that match taking on Lampeter in the second round. Last year’s beaten finalists,

Bargod, were beaten 3-2 by St Dogmaels on Saturday (Sept 24) and their reward is an away tie at

Pencader. The ties are scheduled to take

77 Sport Second Round Cup draw Last gasp Aber try earns win Aber

place on Saturday, October 29, and the full draw is below: Borth Res/NCE v Bont Crannog v Llandysul Aberporth v Aberdyfi Cilgerran v Felinfach Dolgellau Res/Cardigan v


Pencader v St Dogmaels SDUC/Aberaeron v Padarn Llanilar/UWA Res v Talybont

Lewis goal earns Borth win

Mid-Wales League Division 2 Borth United Four Crosses

1 0


Four Crosses to a breezy Uppingham Fields on Saturday afternoon (Sept 24), hoping to maintain their unbeaten start to the season. In a fairly even opening to the

match, both teams created some good chances but the windy conditions made it difficult to keep the ball under control. Midway through the half, Borth’s Liam Lewis, who appeared to be onside, was denied the opening goal by a linesman’s flag, so the score remained 0-0 to half time. With the wind in their favour as

the second half got underway, Borth made some telling runs, especially down both wings, with some good

crosses to the forwards. Yet Four Crosses also threatened

on the counter attack but any danger was competently dealt with by a resolute home defence. Fifteen minutes into the half,

a quick ball from defence found Ben Jones on the right wing and his pinpoint cross was met majestically by Liam Lewis at the far post to put Borth into the lead. Although chances came and went

for both teams, Borth held out for a valuable 1-0 win and remain unbeaten so far this season. Borth United travel away to

Penybont on Saturday (Oct 1) for a League match kicking off at 2.30pm, while Borth Reserves entertain Ceredigion League team Newcastle Emlyn in the First Round of the Dai ‘Dynamo’ Memorial Cup, kicking off at 2pm.

Valuable point for Aber Ladies

Briton Ferry Llansawel Ladies Aberystwyth Town Ladies

1 1

ABER LADIES travelled to

Briton Ferry on Sunday (Sept 25) and despite having a depleted squad, came away with a very valuable hard earned point against a team tasting Welsh Premier football for the first time. Ferry were out of the blocks and

their lively wingers gave the Aber rear guard a stern test for the opening exchanges but the Aber back four responded with Sian Evans and Josie Pugh in commanding form and Nia Witts and Mared Jones nullifying the threat. This platform began to give Aber

a foothold in the game and a Tanya Wylde free kick, after Kelly Thomas had been fouled, hit the bar and with Thomas following up to score only to be undone by the linesman’s flag. Ferry were moving the ball around

well and one such move resulted in a free kick which Aber were glad to see skim the bar for a goal kick. Both teams headed in at half–time all square at 0-0. The second half was but 10

minutes old when young Mared Jones fell awkwardly resulting in her game being over and a visit to the local hospital where thankfully no lasting damage was done.

Ferry sensed victory and Katie

Christopher made an excellent one on one save to deny Ferry after 60 minutes. However, after 68 minutes, Ferry

went ahead from a thunderous header from Rebecca May. The home side were now in the

ascendancy and were unlucky not to go two up when they hit the post and the ball rolled along the line to safety. Aber are made of sterner stuff

these days and a Lucy Hughes 50-yarder nearly caught the Ferry keeper unawares and bounced to safety. Youngsters Helen Evans and

Sophie Cook were putting in a tremendous amount of work and prompted by some fine runs from skipper Ffiona Evans it was no surprise when after 83 minutes Nathalie Rees chased down a lost cause and got between the last defender and keeper to coolly slot home from an acute angle to bring the scores level. Aber were now on top and forced

a series of corners and with an effort cleared off the line may well have sneaked a win at the death. It was a tremendous effort from

the girls who have now won one, drawn two and lost one to date and on Sunday (Oct 2) they face defending champions Cardiff Mets at Cae Piod Bow Street (k-o 2pm).

Aberystwyth: Snatching a bonus point victory

League One West Felinfoel


35 41

ABER snatched this bonus

point victory from the jaws of defeat through a superb, last- minute match winning try by right wing Adam Carvell in a highly competitive and entertaining match. Ground conditions were perfect,

the rain stayed away and only a variable, cross-field wind gave kickers any problems. The visitors started the game with determination , scoring two converted tries to one penalty in the opening 15 minutes. The first was scored by Dan

Binks who supported a good break by Mathew Hughes from broken play to score under the posts. Hughes converted and then scored an excellent solo try after Aber had put pressure on the Felinfoel pack following up their kick off. Thomas converted and Aber

were 3-14 up and looking very comfortable. But pressure from the home side saw them win a line-out five metres out and a drive took them

over the Aber line for their first try. The visitors then took play down to the Felinfoel half where Steff Rees scored a try under the posts after some very good work by the forwards. Thomas converted to take the score to 8-21. The home side stormed back

through their mobile forwards and well-drilled backs and it took a fine, try-saving tackle from captain Lee Evans to keep them out. However, a quickly taken penalty saw the ball moved out for the right wing to score an unconverted try. Aber were now playing with

confidence and discipline and took the game deep into opposition territory once more. The pressure finally told when, after good inter- passing between Hughes and Evans, the latter scored under the posts. Aber were now 13-28 ahead and

had secured their four-try bonus point. From the kick-off, Felinfoel attacked strongly and it took a good tackle from Carvell to prevent them from scoring. But pressure eventually told and

their right wing was able to cross for an unconverted try to bring the half time score to 18-28.

seemed to lose

concentration, discipline and cohesion at the start of the second half as passes went astray or were intercepted, tackles were missed and their whole game became disjointed. At least two scoring passes failed to find their target. Felinfoel quickly capitalised on

these weaknesses. They have been in Division One for the past five years and finished in third place last year. They are therefore far more

streetwise and canny than their opposition and exploited Aber’s naivety to the full. It was no surprise that they scored their fourth try to take the score to 23-28. Then more over-complication and

sloppy defending by Aber saw the home side draw level with another try wide out before Thomas slotted two penalties, one a superb effort from a difficult angle across a strong wind to restore the visitors’ lead. The visitors then lost two of their

best forwards, Parry and Plumbridge, with injuries. Felinfoel took full advantage of this disruption to take play up to the Aber line where they scored a converted try from broken play to give them a one point lead with only minutes remaining. From the kick off, the home side

launched an attack. When this broke down, Aber stole the ball and fed Carvell who set off on a splendid 40-metre run to score under the posts. Aber’s players and coaches

should be satisfied with this victory but will also be concerned about the way the team faded at intervals during the game. Too often they lacked cohesion,

composure and control; play was sometimes disjointed and their lack of direction and concentration cost them at least two tries. As in their game against Gorseinon two weeks earlier, Aber scored two tries in the first 15 minutes only to fade after that.

    

Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28  |  Page 29  |  Page 30  |  Page 31  |  Page 32  |  Page 33  |  Page 34  |  Page 35  |  Page 36  |  Page 37  |  Page 38  |  Page 39  |  Page 40  |  Page 41  |  Page 42  |  Page 43  |  Page 44  |  Page 45  |  Page 46  |  Page 47  |  Page 48  |  Page 49  |  Page 50  |  Page 51  |  Page 52  |  Page 53  |  Page 54  |  Page 55  |  Page 56