This page contains a Flash digital edition of a book.
78 Sport

Division One West Aberystwyth Penclawdd

A quick tap from the scrum-half

15 5

IN THEIR first encounter in

Division 1 West, the highest level they’ve achieved, Aberystwyth came away with a very deserved win against Penclawdd who were also playing at this level for the first time having been promoted alongside Aberystwyth last season. On a blustery afternoon which made

both goal kicking and line-out throwing difficult Aberystwyth showed their intent in the first minute when a loose ball was whipped out to Sion Cowdy, who was making his debut on the left wing and with a lovely arcing run he made deep inroads into Penclawdd 22. They coped well with this attack

and began asserting pressure of their own in the shape of their robust Number 13 Simon Stonham who had some storming runs down the middle. Eventually Aberystwyth got to

grips with this threat and effectively tackled him out of the game the centres being helped notably by Paul Stubbs. Nevertheless Penclawdd worked

their way into the Aberystwyth 22 and were awarded a penalty 5m out.

who fed second row Mat Donohue who crashed over in the corner to score the opening try but the conversion was missed. Aberystwyth then went on to

dominate the rest of the half apart from the last two minutes. Aberystwyth with a series of pick and drives worked their way up-field and were awarded a penalty which was advanced ten yards by referee Richard Thomas, up stepped Mathew Hughes, making his debut at fly-half who coolly slotted the kick to make the score 3 – 5. He unfortunately missed his next

attempt after 22mins but made amends after 28mins with a towering penalty into touch deep in the Penclawdd 22. A very effective line-out catch

and drive led to Paul Stubbs scoring Aberystwyth’s first try to lead 8 – 5. This remained the score until half

time with Aberystwyth dominating territory up till the last two minutes of the half when Penclawdd exerted some pressure on the line which resulted in a rather harsh yellow card for James Plumridge. Aberystwyth carried on in the

second half where they left off dominating territory to such an extent

that they confined Penclawdd to their own half for the majority of the time. The Aberystwyth pack carried

effectively against a stubborn defence although the height of some of their tackles were suspect to say the least. This possession gave the

Aberystwyth backs the chance to shine with fly-half Mathew Hughes showing excellent vision with a chip and chase over the defense almost leading to a score. He also initiated some wrap-around

moves which created a lot of room for in particular right winger Dean Coleman who exploited these opportunities with some storming runs down the wing and from one of these runs Aberystwyth were awarded a scrum in Penclawdd’s 22.

The Aberystwyth scrum which

improved as the game wore on trundled the opposition backwards over their line for captain and Number 8 Lee Evans to touch down. The try was well converted by Mathew Hughes to make the final score 15 – 5. Man of the match Robbie Parry

fully deserved his award for his whole- hearted display of ball carrying and especially his tackling which nullified many of Penclawdd’s attacks at source.

WRU National League 3 West A Cardigan St Davids

66 12

CARDIGAN began the season

in fine style as they eased to a bonus point win over St Davids on Saturday (Sept 3). They went ahead in the opening five

minutes when Luke Rogers crossed over the line but the conversion was missed. Rogers then crossed again moments

later and this time Llyr Jones was successful with the conversion. Fraser Watson responded for the

Saints with a well-worked try and John Miles added the extra points. Kieran Hurley then increased

Cardigan’s lead while Jones added the extra two points and then Marcus Castle also crossed over with Jones adding the extras once more.


Follow us on Twitter @ceredigherald

Excellent first win for Aber Cardigan thump Saints They were not done there and Alun

Jenkins also crossed over with Jones again successful with the conversion. That put them up by 33-7 at half

time and the Saints faced an uphill battle in the second half. They did pull a score back shortly

after the restart as Anton Matthews broke through to score but the conversion was missed. Castle then scored two tries to

secure his hat trick with Jones successful on one of the two conversions. Colin Davies also scored for

Cardigan and Jones was on hand to score the conversion. Jenkins then scored his second try

which was converted on this occasion by Rogers. Dean Harris got the final score of the

game with another try and Rogers added the extras to complete the win.

Tregaron edged out by Milford

WRU National League 3 West A Tregaron

Milford Haven

15 20


the long trip to Division 3A West to face new boys Tregaron. The fixture was due to be played at the Observatory ground but due to the on-going works to the Mariners’ new facilities the fixture was reversed. The Mariners came away with

their first win of the season as both teams battled well in blustery and damp conditions. The Mariners Front row consisting

of Captain Jamie Parr, Luke Ryan and Adam Rees showed that they will be a match for anyone in the league this season as they dominated the scrums winning several balls against the head, 2nd Row Tommy Manning was again ever present with some strong runs and even took the chance to steal several of the oppositions lineout balls. Milford took the lead in the 1st half

from a Craig Barnett penalty, they then extended their lead with an excellent try

Conwy too good for Penrhyn

Conwy Borough Penrhyncoch

3 1

PENRHYNCOCH fell to their

second defeat in four days as they faced the long trip to Conwy and came away with a 3-1 defeat. Jack Rimmer, a new loan signing

from Aberystwyth, came straight into the 11 with Antonio Corbisiero and Josh Shaw still out injured, and Penrhyn attacked from the first whistle, with Dafydd Carruthers shooting at goal in the first minute. Penrhyn looked comfortable

early in the half, the pace of youngster Harri Horwood causing the Conwy defence problems alongside an impressive start from loanee Rimmer. 24 mins in though and really

against the run of play, Conwy took the lead, as Joe Chapman beat the

offside trap and slotted home past Lee Jenkins. They doubled their lead six

minutes later, as Jamie Parker had a shot from the edge of the area that was deflected in off Owain James. Conwy were in the ascendancy;

Joe Chaplin in again but for a late tackle for Matt Mousley and Derek Taylor being one on one with Lee Jenkins, with Jenkins making a great stop with his legs. The Penrhyn attacks were few and far between, with a Gareth Mansell strike just wide from 30 yards being the only real chance for the Roosters. The management team made

tactical changes at half time and Penrhyn began brighter, Daf Carruthers being played in by Jack Rimmer early in the half but shooting just wide, before a breakthrough on 50 mins, as a Penrhyn corner was

seemingly stopped by the hand of a Conwy defender. But, before the referee could blow her whistle, Owain James poked the ball home. There was another penalty

shot minutes later as Owain James was through on goal, and looked to be taken out by the keeper, but the referee deemed there to be no penalty. With the game on a knife edge,

Penrhyn looked to go on the attack, leaving Conwy more space to get chances themselves, leading to a Lee Davey header being tipped over the bar by Jenkins. Conwy regained their two goal

lead on 78 minutes though, as Lee Davey was given too much space and shot powerfully from 25 yards. On Saturday (Sept 10),

Penrhyncoch are at home to Buckley Town.


1 1

from Craig Barnett who also slotted over the conversion. Newcomer Craig, alongside his

brother Jamie, look like they will fit in well to the Mariners outfit this season as they look to push all the way from the title.

Tregaron didn’t give up the fight

in the 1st half and were rewarded for their hard efforts with a try from winger Rhydian Davies which went unconverted. With the gap only 5 points at half

time, The Mariners decided to introduce the skills and experience of the ever present Mark Wonnacott. Milford then picked up further tries

from strong running and strength of young Archie Smithies, and another try from sub Sam Dolling. Tregaron picked up their remaining

points from with a try from Gareth Jones alongside the conversion and penalty by Llifon Jones, and the Mid wales outfit never looked like giving up and look like a feisty edition to the league. The home side battled well but it was

Milford who stood firm to resist their opponents.

Severs earns point for Aberaeron Hay St Mary’s

ABERAERON’S Gareth Severs

scored a late goal to earn a point for his side against Hay St Mary’s on Saturday (Sept 3). Jack Biggs opened the scoring in

the 19th minute for the Saints but a breakaway goal in the 75th by Gareth Severs saw the teams share the spoils. Hay St Mary’s had most of the

possession in the first half but struggled to break down a resolute Aberaeron back line.

In the 12th minute, Rob Sneddens’

long range effort came back off the post to safety with the keeper for once well beaten. More attacks were thwarted until

the 19th minute when Snedden jinked his way past a central defender passed to Brendan Hackett who squared the ball to the oncoming Jack Biggs to score from close range.

The pattern of play continued and the

post was struck with the ball once again, not falling to one of the players and being cleared to safety. The visitors were happy to sit behind

the ball and counter attack using Mattie Davies as their target man. In the second half, Aberaeron were

more in the game but the Saints still saw more of the ball but just couldn’t find that all important second goal. With ten minutes to go, Gareth Severs

reacted the quickest after a free kick into the area and found the back of the net. The Saints piled on the pressure

and had a big penalty shout for handball turned down. In the last minute, after all Hay’s

possession, Aberaeron counter attacked and the ball fell to substitute Thomas Jones, with the goal at his mercy he shot wide. There was just time for Snedden to

hit another long range effort on the half volley that flew inches over the bar.

Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28  |  Page 29  |  Page 30  |  Page 31  |  Page 32  |  Page 33  |  Page 34  |  Page 35  |  Page 36  |  Page 37  |  Page 38  |  Page 39  |  Page 40  |  Page 41  |  Page 42  |  Page 43  |  Page 44  |  Page 45  |  Page 46  |  Page 47  |  Page 48  |  Page 49  |  Page 50  |  Page 51  |  Page 52  |  Page 53  |  Page 54  |  Page 55  |  Page 56