This page contains a Flash digital edition of a book.

Like us on Facebook

79 Sport Borth hold on for win Evans earns point for Penrhyn

Holywell Town Penrhyncoch

1 1

PENRHYNCOCH continued their

impressive start to their Huws Gray Alliance campaign as they fought back with a late Dean Evans header to claim a 1-1 draw at Holywell Town. Harri Horwood replaced the injured

Josh Shaw and was the only change as Antonio Corbisiero passed a late fitness test.

The Roosters came flying out of

Borth United Kerry

2 1


Kerry for their fourth league game and ran out deserved 2-1 winners. With Kerry being one of the

favourites to win the league this season, the management team of Ian Lewis and Paul Hill were expecting a hard game. Borth started brightly, passing

the ball around with confidence. Borth had the initial early chances when a great cross from Liam Lewis was met by Ben Byrne to head over the bar. Liam Lewis tested the keeper

with a stinging shot, but for all their possession, the home side couldn’t make the breakthrough. Kerry looked dangerous at set pieces, the first half ending 0-0. Kerry came more into the game

in the second half and from another set piece, Sean Gates made a great save to deny them. Borth continued their high tempo passing game with Marcin

Bow Street Machynlleth

Matyja (Mash) and Gareth Kelsall- Hughes causing Kerry defence all sorts of problems with their pace. The breakthrough came after 76 minutes, with Gareth Kelsall- Hughes being brought down on the edge of the penalty box. From the resulting free kick,

Gwion Pugh-Jones back heeled into the net for a 1-0 lead. Borth continued to press, but

some dodgy decisions by the Kerry linesman, denied and frustrated Borth. But their patience paid off on

88 minutes when Liam Lewis broke the offside trap and pulled the ball back for Jamie Morris to tap in and still the Kerry linesman flagged for offside, only to be overruled correctly by the referee. With minutes of injury time

remaining, Kerry had a corner, which was punched clear by Sean Gates but unfortunately fell straight to a Kerry player to fire home to make it 2-1. Borth saw out the final couple of minutes for a well-deserved win.

Fourth win f 3or Bow Street 1

BOW STREET claimed their

fourth victory of the season with a midweek win over neighbours Machynlleth in front of a good crowd at Cae Piod. The home side dominated the first

half and it was surprising that the score was only 2-0 at the break. The Machynlleth keeper made a

string of impressive saves to keep his side in the game. Bow Street were awarded two

penalties within the space of five minutes. Andrew Gittins hit the bar with the first, but Ifan Burrell made no mistake with the second. It was Burrell who added the

second goal soon after a quality finish following an excellent through pass from early substitute Ryan Davies. The second half was similar to the

first with the home side continuing to dominate, creating chances but being unable to apply the finishing touches. The suddenly, with 15 minutes

to go, Machynlleth engineered a goal following a succession of corners. There followed a nervous few

the traps, as they took the game to the Wellmen early on, Dafydd Carruthers playing in Elian Evans in the early exchanges. The pace of Carruthers was causing

the Holywell defence problems, as soon after he was again through on goal, but couldn’t get the ball under control, but

managing to win a Penrhyn corner. The game started to open up around

half way through the half, and it was Penrhyn again who had the best chance, as Corbisiero was played in by a long ball from Mark Gornall, and was through on goal only to shoot wide. Holywell pushed on, Phil Lloyd

hitting the bar, but the openness of the game meant chances came for both sides, Jon Foligno heading over for Penrhyn, whilst Paul Williams broke through twice, but the score was to remain 0-0 at half time. Early in the second half, Holywell

took the lead, as a long free kick is played into the box, and came off the unfortunate head of Jon Foligno on the way to the net. From this moment on, Holywell

started to frustrate the visitors, and the game for a long period became controlled without Penrhyn managing to get much

of a foothold. However, a Mark Gornall free kick

that was just over the bar gave the Roosters some hope, alongside some tactical substitutions, and the two substitutes combined soon after coming on, Liam Doherty flicking on a long ball to the feet of Dean Evans, who was brought down as he was about to be through on goal. And moments later, delight for the

visitors, as a cross was played in to the head of Sion James, who could have headed goalward, but headed across goal for Dean Evans to head home from close range. This rattled the home side, but there

was too little time left for Penrhyn to grab a winner, with the result a fair reflection of the game. On Saturday (Sept 3), Penrhyncoch

will look to continue their good start when they travel to Conwy Borough

Aber leave it late to beat Llandudno Llandudno Aberystwyth Town

0 1

A STRONG squad performance,

crowned by a 93rd minute headed winner from super sub Jonathan Evans, earned the Black and Greens a significant victory away to Dafabet WPL Bronze Medallists Llandudno. Aber’s unchanged XI started full

of confidence, passing the ball around nicely on Maesdu’s 3G surface, and Joe Clarke fired a shot wide from the first move of the game showing their attacking intent. Swashbuckling right back, Ricky

Watts set up the effervescent Blake Davies up front but he couldn’t quite get his shot away, and he was denied again soon afterwards as Geoff Kellaway set him up after a nice ball from Luke Sherbon. With Sherbon and Clarke

minutes for the home side until Ryan Davies settled the game with his first goal for Bow Street. Bow Street lie third in the table,

and the next league will be against the early leaders Rhayader on September 17.

This weekend (Sept 3) they host

Carno in the Welsh Trophy Cup competition, with Brecon Corries the visitors on September 10 in the Welsh cup.

Manager Barry Williams said: “We

are content with start we have made but it is very early stages of the season. I am very happy with commitment and hard work from all the squad.” The team consists of B Willis, S

Richards, N Evans, M Roberts-Young, O Roberts Young, M Evans, G Nutting, Ll Jenkins, I ap Dafydd, I Burrell and A Gittins. Subs are L Jones, R Davies, TW Roberts and M Penberthy. Bow Street Reserves achieved

another league victory over the weekend against Machynlleth Reserves by eight goals to two. The scorers were Iolo ap Dafydd

who grabbed three, Gethin ap Dafydd, Peter James, Justin Quinn, an own goal and a penalty emphatically scored by returning veteran Steff Roberts.

 

 

anchoring the midfield superbly, Aber were on top and although Marc Williams deflected a James Joyce shot wide, back came Town with Sherbon and Chris Jones next to go close.

Town were creating chances at

will but were missing a cutting edge with Clarke and Jones shooting wide, and then Jones ran 50 yards to send in a great left wing cross which Davies just failed to connect with. Llandudno reminded those present

that they could still be a threat as Lewis Buckley curled a free kick just wide before the break, but overall visiting supporters felt that the Seasiders deserved more than a 0-0 score at half time.

The hosts came more into things

after the break but Aber continued to create openings too. Davies, played in by Geoff Kellaway, missed the target down the left flank, and then Sam Rodon, a giant at the back for Aber, headed wide from Jones’ corner. Davies stabbed home from an

offside position but then Town had a real scare when James Joyce’s free kick was headed back across goal by Buckley and Williams failed to convert with a back post header. Williams was denied by a goal saving tackle by Will Bell, and then

 

Aber keeper Dominic Richards calmed the nerves by confidently picking out a looping goalbound header and a shot from Leo Riley, and Town’s excellent back four of Watts, Bell, Rodon and Ryan Wollacott had survived the storm.

Sherbon tested Dave Roberts’

handiwork, and Chris Jones’ audacious effort from the touchline was next to concern him. Luke Borrelli saw a shot deflected to Kellaway who went agonisingly close from a promising position. It seemed like the goal would

never come but then Aber’s force of will came into play and their three substitutes, Lewis Coyle, Kurtis March and Evans, had the final word. A free kick from Clarke earned

Aber a 93rd minute corner, and March’s pinpoint ball was nodded on by Kellaway for Evans to head home gleefully from a yard, bringing on ecstatic celebrations shared between the squad and the travelling supporters, echoed seconds later at the final whistle.

Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28  |  Page 29  |  Page 30  |  Page 31  |  Page 32  |  Page 33  |  Page 34  |  Page 35  |  Page 36  |  Page 37  |  Page 38  |  Page 39  |  Page 40  |  Page 41  |  Page 42  |  Page 43  |  Page 44  |  Page 45  |  Page 46  |  Page 47  |  Page 48  |  Page 49  |  Page 50  |  Page 51  |  Page 52  |  Page 53  |  Page 54  |  Page 55  |  Page 56