This page contains a Flash digital edition of a book.
DISCOVER Bridge of Allan

A highly popular Victorian Spa Town, Bridge of Allan was the place to be and to be seen during the mid to late 1800’s. Moving forward to today, Bridge of Allan is still popular as a shopping, eating and drinking spot. Still bearing a wealth of Victorian charm, mixed with modern touches, Bridge of Allan offers lots to see and do.

Museum Hall Built in 1887 by the trustees of John MacFarlane, Museum Hall was once the MacFarlane Museum and Art Gallery.

Royal Hotel Dominating Henderson Street, The Royal Hotel is an outstanding example of Scottish baronial architecture. The Royal was once a stop-over for both Charles Dickens and Robert Louis Stevenson and plaques can be seen at the Royal, immortalising both of their visits in 1867.

Later becoming a Community Hall and concert venue, it played host to The Beatles on the penultimate night of their 1963 tour. Following it’s closure in 1978, Museum Hall is now residential flats.

Fountain of Nineveh Half way down Fountain Road stands the Fountain of Nineveh. Erected in 1851 by the owner of the Westerton Estate, it was named to commemorate the excavation of the site of the original Nineveh which lies on the river Tigris in modern-day Iraq.

Mine Woods The Mine Woods were formerly owned by the Westerton Estate and purchased by Bridge of Allan Burgh Council to commemorate the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. The network of paths which run through the woods were laid out in the mid 19th century by Sir James Alexander of Westerton.


Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28