White Beans and Fish Serves 4 • 2 cans white beans, drained • 1 onion, chopped • 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 c. dark leafy greens (such as spinach, kale, mustard greens, or Swiss chard), chopped
• 5 tbsp. olive oil, divided • Salt and pepper • 4 (4-oz.) white fish fillets
Combine beans, onion, garlic, greens, and 2 tbsp. olive oil in slow cooker. Cook on high 4 hours or low 8 hours. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Season fish on both sides with salt and pepper. In medium frying pan, heat remaining 3 tbsp. olive oil over medium-high heat. Add fillets and sear about 4 minutes on each side for medium well. Divide beans among 4 plates and top with fillets.
Healthy Main Dish Ideas • Add extra tomatoes, onions, and lettuce to tacos and burritos. • Add extra vegetables to canned soup. • Top a baked potato with salsa in place of butter or sour cream. • Add frozen mixed vegetables to pasta sauces, casseroles, or rice dishes. • Make stir-fry with a variety of vegetables and brown rice.
• Cook homemade soup with whole-grain pasta, beans, lentils, and vegetables.
• For a quick veggie pizza, top a pita pocket with spaghetti sauce, reduced-fat cheese, and vegetables.
• When cooking, use half the recommended amount of salt. • Don’t salt food at the dinner table. • Serve dinner on smaller plates to help with portion control.
Huntsman Cancer Institute | www.huntsmancancer.org
| Page 2
| Page 3
| Page 4
| Page 5
| Page 6
| Page 7
| Page 8
| Page 9
| Page 10
| Page 11
| Page 12
| Page 13
| Page 14
| Page 15
| Page 16
| Page 17
| Page 18
| Page 19
| Page 20