This page contains a Flash digital edition of a book.
Minnie Louise Albright Residence 3563 28th


Street


The 1915 Mission Revival home Minnie Louise Albright Residence is located on a section of 28th Street that features a significantly high quantity of stylishly built houses dating from about 1900 to 1930. The beautiful two-story residence was originally owned by a prominent family involved in establishing the Baptist Church in the American West.


A good example of Prairie style influence sometimes seen on Mission Revival, the exterior horizontality of the structure is emphasized on the front elevation by a low-pitched roofline, wide overhanging eaves, a broad flat roof over a partial-width projecting front entry porch with a low scored-concrete floor, a heavy wooden loggia and stout stucco porch columns.


J.B. Draper, a contractor with offices at 16th and National


Avenue who was responsible for building many homes in uptown San Diego, purchased the lot and built the residence in 1915. Late that year, ownership was transferred to the Crescent Realty Company, who sold the title to Minnie Albright in January of 1916. Mrs. Albright resided at the house until her death in 1942. Born in Leavenworth, Kansas, she was the daughter of Chaplain Winfield and Mrs. Scott. The Scotts pioneered several western Baptist communities before arriving in San Diego in 1909 to found the still active Scott Memorial Baptist Church, originally a small chapel at 39th


Street and Madison Avenue that was not completed until


several years after Chaplain Winfield Scott died in 1910. Scottsdale, Arizona was named after Chaplain Scott, who in 1895 purchased the initial 160 acres of land used to develop that area’s citrus growing industry. After his death, his wife and daughter continued to actively serve the church and support several early community organizations in North Park and University Heights.


The comfortably large and beautifully designed house was originally occupied by Minnie Albright, her widowed mother and husband Brigadier-General Frank H. Albright, an 1877 graduate of West Point Academy. General Albright led a storied thirty-year career traveling abroad with the United States Army and as professor of military science at Purdue University and at the Army War College. He died in 1940, after serving as a charter member of San Diego’s Army and Navy Club and other local military-based clubs, and on the Military Committee of the San Diego Chamber of Commerce.


Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20