Vaguely Valentine related recipes
Honey cake (for your 'honey' on Valentine’s Day) Ingredients:
2 tsp instant coffee in 100ml boiling water 1 large egg 50g sugar
225g runny honey 225g plain flour
1½ tbs sunflower oil ( or similar) 1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda ¼ tsp cinnamon ½ tsp lemon juice
Oven on at 180°C 350 F, mark 4. One greased and lined 2lb (900 g) loaf tin.
1. Mix together the coffee and honey. 2. Stir together all the dry ingredients.
3. Beat together the oil, sugar and eggs (preferably with an electric mixer), add the coffee and dry mixtures, and beat it all until you get a batter consistency.
4. Add the lemon juice, then pour the mix into the loaf tin and bake for approx. 45 minutes. Test with a skewer to check if it’s cooked, and leave the cooked cake to cool in the tin.
5. Turn out, slice and spread with butter, cream cheese, clotted cream or custard.
Tiramisu ("pick me up") Ingredients:
60g caster sugar 100ml very strong black coffee, freshly made 6 tbs Marsala or sweet sherry 16 sponge fingers 3 eggs, separated, and a pinch of nutmeg 250g mascarpone (or unsalted cream cheese) 60g plain chocolate, grated Icing sugar to decorate
1. Stir half the sugar into the coffee until it is dissolved, and add the Marsala or sherry. 2. Arrange half the sponge fingers In the base of a 20cm dish, and drizzle over half of the coffee mixture.
3. Beat the egg yolks and nutmeg with the remaining sugar until the mixture is thick, and stir in the mascarpone.
4. Beat the egg whites until stiff, fold them into the mascarpone mixture, then spoon half the mixture over the sponge fingers and smooth it off.
5. Dip the remaining sponge fingers in the coffee mixture, then arrange them on top, cover them with the remaining mascarpone mixture, and smooth the top.
6. Chill, then before serving sprinkle with grated chocolate and dust with icing sugar. Val Mathews
| Page 2
| Page 3
| Page 4
| Page 5
| Page 6
| Page 7
| Page 8
| Page 9
| Page 10
| Page 11
| Page 12
| Page 13
| Page 14
| Page 15
| Page 16
| Page 17
| Page 18
| Page 19
| Page 20
| Page 21
| Page 22
| Page 23
| Page 24
| Page 25
| Page 26
| Page 27
| Page 28