This page contains a Flash digital edition of a book.
Inspection, circa 1917. Location now covered by 1940 Hospital. Courtesy FGMF Collection


Fort Rosecrans Historic District A Fort Rosecrans (1899-1959)


President Grover Cleveland directed William C. Endicott, Secretary of War, to form a board in 1885 to defend America’s rivers and shores. The Endicott Board selected the Point Loma Military Reservation for two companies of Sea Coast Artillery (aka Coast Artillery Corps). General Order No. 134 named this post in honor General William Starke Rosecrans, a Civil War general and member of U.S. Congress who promoted railroads to San Diego in 1885. The Army departed in 1924, following the Washington Naval Treaty of 1922 and returned in 1940 to serve until 1959. The last Army unit departed in 2007.


ii


Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8