This page contains a Flash digital edition of a book.
Humphrey’s by the Bay Restaurant, photo by Sandé Lollis


Humphrey’s Half Moon Inn & Suites, originally named Half Moon Anchorage/Boat-tel 2303 Shelter Island Drive Built: 1959 • Architect: Hiram Hudson Benedict & Assoc. One of the landmark Tiki Modern resort hotels in San Diego, its soaring porte cochere/lobby entry emulates the protruding bow of a Polynesian fishing canoe, complete with hanging lantern used to attract fish.


Humphrey’s by the Bay Restaurant, originally named the Tahitian 2241 Shelter Island Drive Built: 1964 • Architect: Armet & Davis, Los Angeles Reminiscent of a Polynesian men’s meeting house or halau wa’a (canoe shed), the restaurant’s entry and foyer is a classic swayback or broke- back A frame, with projecting gables, ridge beams, rafter buttresses, canoe-bow rafter tails, and irregularly laid “Barney Rubble” limestone walls.


Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20