This page contains a Flash digital edition of a book.
and a body Part 4

Two doors

on the sports cars but are completely different and the passenger door handle even has a lock apparentlymade by a company called Zeni, parts for which are no longer available. The lock and handle for the Coupe came broken in three pieces but there was also a raw casting from

Chrome parts are always a worry, they are expensive and there is always the risk of parts being lost. The Coupe has plenty of chrome; I catalogued and photographed every one of the 99 components and that didn’t include the headlamps, radiator shell and windscreen, all of which had been chromed by the previous owner. The plater that I used had a copy of the photos so there was no excuse for parts being lost and I am pleased to say that none were, he also made an excellent job of restoring some of the Mazak parts which have a reputation for being very difficult to re-finish, so no complaints even if it took 7 months! The exterior door handles look similar to those

parts that needed attention. I had hoped to use the original rear wings but after shot blasting it was apparent that they were a lost cause and a new pair was obtained, however these were no simple matter to make fit. With the Coupe body almost

then polished up ready for chroming; it looked so good I thought it would be an idea to have a matching assembly on the driver’s side. Dave Hardwick found another handle but the lock was solid and of course there was no keys, so I resorted to drilling the lock out and thenmodified it to take a similar lock to the passenger side, and both locks were then made to accept the same key. The interior door handle mechanisms also had to be completely dismantled so that the operating lever and latch could be chromed but they are riveted assemblies so a bit tricky to put back together. At the back of the car there were a number of

completely surrounding each wing they have to be a near perfect match otherwise even the largest wing piping will not conceal the join. The new wings are made in two parts and the welding had created a bump which had to be removed before an acceptable fit was achieved and this proved very difficult. With the car when purchased came two small

panels that I had not seen the likes of before and had no idea where they fitted. While working on the rear wings I noticed a screw hole at the front of the inner wheel arch and when the panel was offered up it seemed to fit but there was a similar hole at the back of the arch and the panel would also fit there. I have to say that whichever position it was there seemed to be no purpose to the panel at all but after questioning a few owners, Neil Thorpe confirmed that the panels did indeed fit at the front of the wheel arch. Original rear lighting on the Coupe was a single

which a new handle could be made but I needed a lock and managed to find one very similar to the original at the NEC Classic Motor show. The casting was machined to take the new lock and

tail and stop light over the square number plate mounted on a bracket on the off side of the car. A single light is not legal today so how to mount a second tail and stop light and new indicators as although the original trafficators will be fitted back on the car in full working order I wanted to also have flashing indicators? After considering a number of alternative arrangements including one suggested by Tony Raynor in California which involved some parts froma FordModel T, I decided to use a pair of ‘pork pie’ lamps which are now


Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24  |  Page 25  |  Page 26  |  Page 27  |  Page 28  |  Page 29  |  Page 30  |  Page 31  |  Page 32  |  Page 33  |  Page 34  |  Page 35  |  Page 36  |  Page 37  |  Page 38  |  Page 39  |  Page 40  |  Page 41  |  Page 42