This page contains a Flash digital edition of a book.
1855 & 1863 Altamira Place Mission Hills Located side-by-side in Mission Hills, the two-story Mission Revival style residences 1855 and 1863 Altamira Place were constructed by Richard M. Hathaway in 1925. The Richard M. & Laura M. Hathaway/Charles T. Leigh House or La Casa de Las Siete Candelas is the larger of the two houses and contains more architectural detailing on the interior.


Both homes feature fireplaces produced by the Batchelder- Wilson Company of Los Angeles. 1855 Altamira Place has a modest fireplace with a rich brown-colored “fire frame” and hood set into the plaster wall. The design is very similar but not identical to a fireplace identified as No. 263 in a 1923 edition Batchelder catalog. The feature also includes a tiled hearth and a mantel-like tile shelf built into the wall above the firebox. It is shown here to illustrate the range of styles available from this one company from the simple and basic to the more elaborate.


4


Page 1  |  Page 2  |  Page 3  |  Page 4  |  Page 5  |  Page 6  |  Page 7  |  Page 8  |  Page 9  |  Page 10  |  Page 11  |  Page 12  |  Page 13  |  Page 14  |  Page 15  |  Page 16  |  Page 17  |  Page 18  |  Page 19  |  Page 20  |  Page 21  |  Page 22  |  Page 23  |  Page 24